First Butt Going All Night

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

First post...got my WSM for Christmas (due to the Virtual Bullet Website) and have been successful both times I used it.

First time was a bunch of spare ribs and they came out great. Only challenge was getting the temp up using the Std Method. It's cold here in north central MA (low/mid 20's).

Next time was a small brisket and baby backs. I used the Minion Method (to be different) and that was a piece of cake. Due to the low temps, I simply leave the vents at 100% after assembling the grill and forget about it.

We got 15" of snow last night and it's been snowing all day today. With that said, I bought a 9.7 lb picnic roast at BJs, trimmed off at least a pound of fat and am going to do an allnighter with the WSM. Started the grill at 7:15, meat on at 7:30 and it's humming along at 235.

I have to pick up my wife from work at 11:15 PM so that'll be my last check until 6:30 AM tomorrow. I'll top off the water, flip the meat and go to bed.

Wish me luck!!

Good luck Doug...maybe you can give us a summary of the results. Now is when you wish you had one of those Maverick remote digital thermometer units. Then if low temp occurs you can get an alarm....

PrestonD

Well, I awoke and checked the WSM at 7:00 AM and the temp at the lid had dropped to 200 (darn). The meat temp was 145. I should also mention that it's a toasty 18 degrees outside this AM. But is did stop snowing.

I refilled the water pan with hot water, stoked the coals a little, flipped the meat, opened the vents (after my previous posting, I did have to close the vents to 50% to maintain the 235 degrees) and she's back up to 235.

I'll give it a few more hours and if need be, I'll finish it in the oven as I want to head out ice fishing later this morning.

After aprox 8 hours to have the pit temp at 200? is not a problem, but if the internal temps is 145? there is more than a few hours of cooking left.
Jim

Yes, good luck Doug.

Please post the results and how you will serve it.

BTW...it got up to 80* in Phoenix yesterday. Now that's toasty. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Doug,

Good Luck with your cook! Last weekend I did a pork butt, when my internal temp got to 147 it took another 7 hours to get to 188. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif You will probably hit a temperature plateau around 165 or 170 that might last for 1-3 hours (or so). Doing a turkey breast today, I'll keep an eye on your progress.

OK, as I mentioned earlier I wanted to go ice fishing this AM. I went and caught/released a nice 18" rainbow. Back to the butt.

After my last post I allowed the temp to get up to (and stay at) 270. By 9:30 AM, the internal temp (2 places) according to the Polder reached 173. I was surprised (and pleased) given my self-imposed 10:00 AM deadline.

I removed the butt from the WSM, wrapped it up nice and tight in several pieces of foil and placed it into a 185 oven. After getting back from fishing, the internal temp is now (you guessed it) 185.

I'm going to heat it up a bit more (higher temp), allow it to rest and then shred it with forks. I'll post the results.

I plan on making a BBQ sauce that is in the Weber Big Book of Grilling (bought that when I got my Weber Genesis Gold Gas Grill this summer). I have a couple bottles of Dinosaur sauce but that one Weber sauce is my fav.

All I can say is WOW !! The pulled pork is absolutely fantastic. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I'm not sure how much meat I got but it is an entire 3 Liter Pyrex dish worth.

The sauce I made was the KC-Style Spareribs Sauce that is on page 163 of the Weber Big Book of Grilling.

Everyone is right, this is a must try recipe!!!

Doug... what did you put on the meat before putting it in the WSM? Was it the old faithful and "Renouned Mr. Brown", or something a little different?

Doug:

If you have the "Smoke & Spice" book try making the sauce that is mostly ketchup and vinegar, I think called Vaunted Vinegar for your pork. It is outstanding and not as overbearing as that rib sauce you made.

Yes, I went the tried and true "Renowned Mr. Brown" route on the rub. Again, it came out great. Next time I might lather the meat with mustard as well to moisten the outside a bit more.

I don't have the Smoke & Spice book yet. It is on my list. I really like the rib sauce that I made but I am more than happy to try a new BBQ sauce.

It was fun. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Congrats! Yes - it has been quite cold and snowy in Ma. I live down in the Milford area. As long as you keep the wind away from the WSM, it does a fine job holding the temp in winter.

Hi Mike. I actually work in Milford, MA, right off of Rt 109 (Maple St).

You're right, after running for 12+ hrs, the WSM still had a lot of legs left in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back