First Butt ... and Thanks

Dennis T.

TVWBB Super Fan
I wanted to thank everyone for their help in planning for a big family barbecue this past weekend.

I ended up smoking two butts two nights prior to the gathering. These were my first butts, so I learned quite a bit. Most notable was how difficult it was to measure the temperature. The largest butt was approx. 7 to 7.5 lbs. and the smoke took 16 hours. I had a difficult time knowing when to take the butts off as I found quite a range of temps inside the meat.

On the day of the gathering, I smoked 4.5 racks of baby backs. This was my first time using the lower grate.

Results: The pulled pork was a big hit. The family has more than it's share of finicky eaters, but not this day! I was very pleased.

The ribs were good, but didn't get the attention of the pulled pork. I had to remove the ribs sooner than I would have liked to meet some schedule constraints. They were done and very good, but I would have liked them a little more tender. I think the fact that the lower grate was at a lower temp than the top grate lengthened the required cooking time.

ANYWAY ... a long-winded way to say thanks to everyone for their help ... I think I'm actually beginning to learn a little! To the beginners out there ... you can do it!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">These were my first butts </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, knock me over! I saw the title of the thread and your name and, well, I thought you were an ol' hand at butts. Now, I don't know why I thought so--just did.

Very cool. Your food sounded really good. A range of temps on a butt is quite normal. A preponderance of temps in the 195-200 range will yield a bit more rendered meat, in the mid-upper 180s-low 190s a bit less, 170s--it's more sliceable than pullable. And yes, a lower grate cook usually lengthens the time on ribs. Did you foil them at all or do a straight grate cook?

I was in Red Lion, just north of you Sunday a.m. Sure was a beautiful one. Congrats on a successful Q.

Hi Kevin,

Yes ... the weather on Sunday was magnificent! Couldn't have improved it one bit.

What threw me regarding the butt is that I put the temperature probe in the middle of the butt, but when it hit 195, I moved the probe around some and found lower temps toward the bone ... seemed to be the thickest part.

I kept on cooking, but worried that I would over cook parts of the meat in an attempt to get the thickest part to 195.

As I said, all turned out well, but I don't know if removing the meat sooner would have worked just as well.

I did foil the ribs ... for a little over an hour. I cooked the ribs for about 3.5 hours prior to foiling ... and rotated the ribs half way through that 3.5 hours. The rest of the cook I kept everything on the top grate.

I was trying to keep the ribs at 215-225 by keeping the lid temp between 230 and 240. I think this probably worked well for the top grate, but the lower grate must have been a little cool.

As I've learned here ... the meat will tell you when it's done ... except when the Hostess tells you it's time to be done!

The other thing I want to mention is that I think it's important for those of us who smoke to maintain perspective.

I'm my worst critic ... analyzing what I did right, wrong, and will change next time ... even while I'm eating the fruits of my efforts.

Most other people eating our barbecue, however, have no clue of what's involed. Prior to opening the food line, I explained to the guests the process of making pulled pork, the bark, the smoke ring, etc.. You should have seen their faces ... even my B-in-Law who is a health consultant for restaurants was completely mezmorized.

It's fun and a privilege to have a hobby that makes people happy.

The more you move that probe, the more you'll find temp discrepancies, as the butt is made up of several different muscles. Great test (if you are planning to do pulled pork) is to grab that bone and give it a wiggle or a tug. That baby'll slide right out clean as a whistle when it's at the proper temp!

Pork butt is sooooo forgiving, it's nearly impossible to overcook. I take mine to 205.

Back