First Butt and a question

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Well, yesterday I did my first Pork Butt on my El-Cheapo Masterbuilt that I have seriously modified to actually work.

The butt weighed 6.5 lbs before I trimmed the fat, I cut it in half and rubbed it Saturday night. At 7:00 am yesterday morning I put it on and cooked it at 250F. It took about 6.5 hours to reach 195F internal and was awesome.

I mopped it with a really fast baste I made on a whim. It was: 1 part olive oil, 1 part beer, and 1/4 part molasses. It was pretty good. I may try to enhance it in future attempts.

Now for the question. Has anybody tried spraying their water pan with PAM to see if it helps in clean up?

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Oh yea, I almost forgot. My father-in-law bought a real WSM Saturday and used it next to my abomination. I was really impressed after seeing one run in person. Now I really need to save up and buy one.

Yes, I've sprayed pam on the lip of the Brinkman pan where dripping would collect and burn on. It does make it much easier to clean that part of the pan.

PRG

Hi CJ,

I've never thought about spraying Pam on the water pan, but I always spray Pam on the grates. It makes cleanup very easy. I typically use the extra wide heavy duty aluminum foil on the water pan.

-mc

Never thought about the pam thing, good tip!!! Will try it.. might save a few bucks on tin foil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back