First BRITUs to go on the grill in 1 hour

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I sprinkled the rub, but I used Kosher course salt instead of tablesalt. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Doing my first also Jeff. I have 2 racks Britu and 2 racks texas sprinkle. Just lit the chimney. Good Luck with your smoke and dealing with the wind. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Brian, that was a good idea doing 2 different rubs. The weather here is very nice for March, and I'm smoking my first ribs so I can't complain. Where in Chicago are you? Keep me posted which rub you like the best.

That makes three of us. I have Three 2 lbs. slabs of Ribs with a Texas Sprinkle and six 2 lbs. of BRITU.
Having some trouble keeping the temps down. Wish me luck.

Jeff,
I am in Crystal Lake. I pulled my WSM just inside the garage to try and shield it a bit from this wind (its getting worse). Using MM and my temp is crawling up (10lbs of meat and bone?), but it is going up. I'll let you know which one I prefer but I have a feeling it will be the britu based on how they looked after sitting on the counter for 2 hours.
P.S. Looks like rain here shortly. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Wow, big day for maiden voyages - add me to the list - 2 slabs of BRITU to go on in about 10 minutes - got the temps stable - will probably use the bottom grate - temps there are at 237 for the last 1/2 hour. Upper grate is coming down, but still at 260.

Have fun everyone!

I urge you folks to try experimentation after learning BRITU. While a good method, BRITU is but one of countless ways to do ribs on a smoker and competitions at judges' stands and kitchen tables at home have been won with other recipes.

Some improvements I've made thus far to BRITU:
- slather prepared yellow mustard on ribs first
- less salt in rub
- more rub on ribs
- add cumin to rub
- re-dust ribs 15 minutes before they're done

Jason, I plan on doing just that. I wanted to do the BRITU first as a base for my pigsicle knowledge, lol. I'm not sure I would like my ribs slathered in mustard - not a big fan of the yellow stuff.

How did everyone's ribs turn out? Mine were fantastic. It rained on me for the last hour but my wsm held its ground.

Jeff,

My first ribs on a smoker were good also - I put up the pop-up gazebo in the yard to cover the WSM while it was in action and I stayed dry the whole time. It was the way to go. The first thing I learned was that I "over rubbed" the ribs - I got a little extra zealous and piled the rub on instead of the "dusting" that would have been better. So, they were a little spicy, but still better than any that I have done on my Genesis Silver (a thick bark, anyway!). I think one thing I will do is cut down on the Cayenne - I like a little sweet over the heat.

All in all - a good first outing - temp control was pretty much like everyone has been saying. Thanks for all the good info from everyone on this board.

Turned out excellent! I liked the britu's better but both were great. Seemed as though the britu's pulled away from the bone more, but that could be they were on the top rack the first 3 hours. Neighbor did some indirect butterflied birds on the kettle and we shared. I'm tall boy'd and smokey boned out. Good night. More tomorrow

/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

The mustard slather all but disappears during smoking. Lots of info on variouys BBQ sites about using it. If you've had BBQ at a restaurant chances are fair your meat was slathered in mustard prior to cooking. Try it once and see.

Jeffr,
The ribs came out great, all things considered. I had some problems along the way getting my temps in line. Ended up running hot in the early part of the smoke and cooler in the end. I think the ribs themselves came out great. The Britu's were by far the favorites.I was surprised that the Britu's were more spicy than the Texas Sprinkle.... Who would have thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back