First Brisket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I've had my WSM for a couple of months now, and it's time to step out and do a brisket. My Ribs (BRITU) and Butts (Mr. Brown) have all been beyond my wildest expectations.

My problem is I never have eaten brisket in my life. I know, I know...

I've read Chris' Midnight Brisket thoroughly, and I've seen many posts on the subject. I'm still curious about whether to cook with the fat side up, or the fat side down. I've seen it posted each way and would like to know advantages/disadvantages either way.

Also, serving the Brisket... I've seen it written that sauces are usually served on the side. What sauces are typical served with Brisket: Tomato based, or vinegar based?

I'm planning on using the Sugarless Texas Sprinkle rub. Anyone have any suggestions in that area?

Thanks. I'm open to any and all comments.

Hi, Tom!

Here is the theory of fat side up and down.....

Fat side up.....as the fat renders, gravity pulls it down and it keeps the meat moist.

Fat side up....the brisket will simmer itself in its own fat.

Used to be everybody did them fat side up. Nowadays more and more cooks are startinh them fat side up and then turniong them fat side down at some point in the cook.

I prefer NO sweetness to my beef and I hate vinegar on it. I think the tomato sauces are more popular in Texas with maybe some heat in them.

Tom,

Just got my monthly bbq newsletter in and they had this topic in there. I use this guys rub on brisket. this is his web site:
www.TexasBBQRub.com

2. Fat side up or down when you cook a brisket.

This is a frequently asked question and stirs up some debate in the BBQ community. When you look at the brisket you will notice one side of the brisket is covered almost totally by fat. The other side of the brisket is not covered by solid fat but has a more marbled look to it. The non-fat side, if you will, also is the side that the point of the brisket reaches its highest point.

Now for the discussion. When you place your brisket on your cooker do you cook with the fat side on top or on bottom? Let?s discuss this and then decide.

The conventional approach to cooking any meat on the cooker is to place the fat side of the piece of meat on top. This thinking is driven by the belief that as the meat cooks and the fat begins to break down, the juices of the fat will help marinate the meat as it cooks. This is true with most of the meat we cook. I have no problem with the thought process here. So one vote for placing the fat side of the brisket on top.

Think about a couple of other issues when we cook meat low and slow. Where does the heat we are using come from, the top or bottom of our cooker? That is right the heat source is always at the bottom of the meat. This is true if we cook in the oven, a grill, or a smoker. And we all know that heat rises. So the deal is to have the heat come from the bottom and rise over the food we are cooking.

When you cook, you notice that regardless of the meat we are cooking and regardless of the type of cooker we are using, that when our meat is cooked, and we are serving it, you notice that the bottom (the part of the meat that cooked nearest the heat source) is usually more done than the upper portion of the meat. This makes sense, as the bottom has been closer to the heat source and has been subjected to more heat.

My point is, if we cook with the fat side down on a brisket, we have a barrier of fat protecting the meat from the higher heat source. If we cook fat side up then we have no barrier there to protect the flat portion of the brisket from the higher heat.

If you really study the brisket you will notice there is a layer of fat that runs down the center of the brisket, from a point that begins right after the flat and begins to rise to the point. This flat layer and the fat that runs all thru the brisket will give us plenty of natural juices to keep the meat moist during cooking, if we use a rub that is designed to hold in the meats own juices.

Therefore, I always cook my brisket with the fat side down on the smoker. I want that protection from the heat source. This is even more apparent if you use a grill and don?t have a large space between your heat source and the meat itself.

I have asked dozens of brisket cookers at various contest and cook-offs what they prefer. I have read plenty about cooking brisket. There still seems to be about half of those cookers that cook with the fat side up. So the choice is yours here. Try it both ways if you want to but I have cooked both ways for experimental purposes and find that fat side down is by far the best for me.

Thanks for all the replies...

What to do... what to do??? I'm glad this bbq is such an exact science... LOL!

I'm gonna compromise... TexasBBQRub and Flip the brisket halfway...

Thanks again!

I have been doing fat side down lately. This is anathema to everything that I had ever been told on how to do a brisket. I like the affect on the bark better. I love bark. But, on a brisket I have had bark get tooo thick, crunchy with the fat side up all the way through the smoke. I, also, think I get a little better smoke ring with fat side down. I do flop it for a couple of hours during the smoke to firm up my rub/bark.

I am doing my first brisket this weekend too. I am going to use the recipe for Smoked and Oven Finished on this website. My problem is that my brisket is all flat, no point. I may try putting bacon on it to keep it moist, but I don't want it turning out tasting like pork.
I would appreciate any ideas anyone might have. Thanks.

Hi Bob H.
As Marge said in Fargo, "I'm not sure I agree 100 percent with your police work there Lou."
In a wsm, the heat source is at the bottom, but the once you get above the water pan (around 215 degrees if filled with water) doesn't the temperature gradient get hotter as you go higher in the pit. If the temp at the lid is 250 or so and the temp on the bottom grate is 220 or so, wouldn't you cook fat side up to protect the meat from the higher temperature (above the brisket)?
If I was cooking without a water pan, fat side down would be a good thing to do.

Hi Stogie,
I saw on the internet you were a bbq consultant to the United Kingdom or something like that. Cool! Does that pay pretty good?
Will you email me a Jambalya recipie.
hevbrewer@earthlink.net

DB....

Where on Earth did you read THAT????? I have submitted some articles and recipes on BBQing to a UK based web site, but that is about it. Matter of fact, I haven't even looked at that site in over a year! LOL

However, the pay was tremendous! Got mentioned on the internet that I was a BBQ consultant to the UK!! LOL I mean come on....how valuable is THAT? LOL

Recipe is on its way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back