First brisket questions......

Duncan J

TVWBB Member
I have two brisket flats I'd like to Q this weekend. I wanted a whole packer, but that's not what I have.

The flats are 5 and 6 pounds each. They appear to have good fat caps so I don't believe they're overly trimmed.

I'd like to hear some recommendations on temp and time.

Let me know what other info might be needed.

Thanks!

This past weekend I stacked two 4 lb flats, non-fat cap sides together, and had good results. I did have to flip them for even cooking though.

I got 2 8 pound flats from Sam's - on the WSM fat down, one to a shelf. 9 PM 225* - at 9 AM the upper grate temp was down to 205* meat at 140* so I boosted the WSM temp to 225*. I foiled when the meat was at 160*

at noon one flat was tender ( I poked it with the thermopen, but I didn't bother to read it) about 30 monutes later the other was ready. Wrap in a towel put in cooler.

At about 4 PM I put a pot of beans into the cooler.

At 6 we unfoiled and spilt a bunch of au jus on my foot, brisket was better ( tender, MOIST, flavorful) than any I have ever judged at a contest!

Alright...
So you had about an hour per pound on your two flats. Two 8 pound flats for about 15 1/2 hours.

I've seen recommendations usually around an hour to an hour & a half per pound, depending on several variables.

Does that then hold true even if the pounds are divided between two cuts of meat? I wouldn't have thought so, but it looks like that's the experience you had.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Stacked together? Never heard of that. What temp & how long? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me neither but I didn't think a single 4lb brisket would turn out that good so I decided to try something different. I smoked them in a ceramic cooker on a raised grid over a foil drip pan. No platesetter, bricks or liquid in pan. I set one fat side down and the other fat side up, right on top of the bottom one. Cooked at 275* dome temp for about 7 hours, flipping once. After 7 hours they were at about 185*. I foiled each one separately and left them on another hour or so until they were a little over 200*. I thought they turned out pretty good, for me anyway.

Just did a 6.5 lb. brisket flat today. cooked it at 280-290. It was ready after 4.5 hours. Just sliced it and it is primo. Amazing how jacking up the temp a bit reduces cook time without sacrificing quality. Have not tried one in the 300's yet but I will soon. As an aside used rancher charcoal. Good stuff!

Back