First Brisket in Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Weisse

TVWBB Super Fan
All things considered, my first brisket turned out okay. First, I have to say that I have never had BBQ brisket, so I have no standard of comparison. Heck, I haven't hadn't BBQ anything, but that doesn't keep me from trying!

I think the flat is a bit dry, but is going to be good rewarmed with some sauce. I chopped up and shredded the point. It's going to make good sandwiches or burritoes.

Not bad, but not great. There are some reasons for this and I understand a brisket better now that I've taken one apart.

My biggest problem was lack of time. Changes in plans suddenly found me rushing to get the brisket on. Then I had to stick the cooked meat in the fridge before I could cut it up. Finally, I got home tonight and had to cut up a cold piece of beef. That just didn't make for a relaxing cook.

A few comments:

- Boy, the WSM sure holds temp and performs well. It ran steady at 240-255 for 15 hours. I added 2 quarts of water and poked the fire once toward the end to knock down the ashes. Can't beat that!

- A 12-lb. brisket is a BIG hunk of meat. It barely fit on the grill. Just the logistics of rubbing, wrapping, turning, etc. threw me off. In retrospect, I should have grabbed something like a chuck roast instead.

- I couldn't have done as well as I did without this site and everyone's help. Heck, I might not even have tried!

Finally, I have some tasty (but dry) burnt ends. I think they'd be good in beans or chili. Anyone have any suggestions?

A lot of my cooks have included brisket as the secondary meat, that is to say-- when the ribs are done-- we eat, and later, when the brisket finally finishes, it will be wrapped in foil and refrigerated for later.

When it comes time to enjoy some of that brisket, it will be sliced 1/8 to 1/4 inch thin, and placed in a loosely covered Pyrex dish which has had 1-2 tablespoons of broth/apple juice/or even plain water per serving added to it, and then microwaved at only 30% power for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes. Brisket flat so reheated will approximate the just-cooked product very closely. Properly cooked brisket (flat) will be not-as-falling-apart-as-pot-roast, but, rather, its slices will pull apart with the ease and symmetry of Wonder Bread.

The point of a whole brisket is another matter-- enjoy it as soon as you can-- sliced or shredded. It will still be great later, mind you, but that just-off-the-cooker combination of moist/tender/bark is as wonderful as any freshly-pulled pork butt.

Tony,

What I've learned about brisket is that you can't rush it. Every time I've tried to rush one by cranking up the fire toward the end, for example, I've ended up unhappy with the final product. When I have been patient I've always been happy. a 12lb brisket should have taken every bit of 15 to 18 hours. What was the internal temp at the end of the cook?

The best briskets I've done where tender and moist in the flat. You needed a sharp knife to cut the flat clean and you could easily pull the meat of the flat apart. I usually let my internal temps go above 195. The best one I ever did registered an internal temp of 202 and wasn't at all dry.

I think that a big part of getting a great outcome is getting a good brisket to begin with. I'm still not good enough at picking a good brisket. It's just luck of the draw for me. However, I think that in the end, it's the difference between a great outcome and a very good outcome. Keep cookin em', you'll get a great outcome.

Jim wrote: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I think that a big part of getting a great outcome is getting a good brisket to begin with.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I agree. I've done one brisket, with no prior brisket experience, (other than eating them) and it turned out terrific. I used Chris' overnight brisket directions, and a choice brisket. I give myself very little credit. The credit goes to Chris, the WSM, and a good piece of brisket.

P S. I forgot to give Mr. Minion credit also!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back