First Brisket Flat

Todd Randall

TVWBB Pro
Hello all,

I just purchased a brisket flat at my local BJs. A smaller one, 4.25 lbs. I think I read to plan on 1.5 hours per pound for brisket.

First question, I should plan for a 6-6.5 hour cook?

Second, looks like on the fat cap side, the deepest fat looks to be maybe 1/4". I should not trim any more fat off this?

Third, cook it fat cap down?

Forth, does it make any difference if I take it out of the cryo tonight and rub it, or not worry about it and just rub it right before I put it on tomorrow around 11AM?

Thanks in advance,
Todd

Todd,

I've only done two, but they came out ok.
If you are going low and slow yes to #1, otherwise follow the high heat brisket threads that you can find by searching forums
I'd leave that fat as is, protects meat while cooking. If there is a really thick section of fat you can trim it down
From what I've read and in my limited experience I'd say fat side down the whole time. The fat will shield from heat and muoh of it will melt off. I've rubbed right out of the fridge so you don't have to mess with it tonight.
Again, my brisket experience is limited. Let me know how it comes out. Maybe I'll have to modify my procedures. Hope it's good.

Originally posted by Todd Randall:
Hello all,

I just purchased a brisket flat at my local BJs. A smaller one, 4.25 lbs. I think I read to plan on 1.5 hours per pound for brisket.

First question, I should plan for a 6-6.5 hour cook?

Second, looks like on the fat cap side, the deepest fat looks to be maybe 1/4". I should not trim any more fat off this?

Third, cook it fat cap down?

Forth, does it make any difference if I take it out of the cryo tonight and rub it, or not worry about it and just rub it right before I put it on tomorrow around 11AM?

Thanks in advance,
Todd
1) Some flats cook pretty quick. As Dave said fig 1.25 - 1.50 hrs per lb. Around 6 hrs depending on your temps and figure in some time for the rest in a cooler for a hr or two.
2) Do not trim it if it's only at a 1/4" your good to go.
3) Yes fat cap down towards the fire to protect it.
4) Wait to rub it before putting it on. Light your 8-10 briqs for the MM and while they are ashing over take it out of the cryo and pat it dry with some paper towels. Coate it with some wosty sauce apply rub and that's it. Add lit coals to unlit, assemble the smoker add meat and open up a cold one, your done.
icon_biggrin.gif

mmmmmmmm...a cold one...mmmmmmmmm

seriously though, thanks for the replies, they have really helped. I will let you know how it comes out and we'll see how the little wifey likes it.....our first brisket.....LOL.

In regards to smoking brisket with the fat cap up or the fat cap down, I admit I'm a little confused. I'm certainly a novice in barbequing brisket but have always been under the impression that a moderately trimmed fat cap should be on top so that the rendered fat would assist in keeping the brisket moist and juicey. I've even heard of those that place trimmed fat on top of the brisket during the foiling to keep it tender. Maybe I'm wrong....willing to learn tho'
icon_smile.gif
. Bill

Originally posted by Bill Allen:
In regards to smoking brisket with the fat cap up or the fat cap down, I admit I'm a little confused. I'm certainly a novice in barbequing brisket but have always been under the impression that a moderately trimmed fat cap should be on top so that the rendered fat would assist in keeping the brisket moist and juicey. I've even heard of those that place trimmed fat on top of the brisket during the foiling to keep it tender. Maybe I'm wrong....willing to learn tho'
icon_smile.gif
. Bill
Bill, That's one of them myths like "searing the meat" seals in the juices thing, Not true. As dense as a brisket is the fat cap ain't going anywhere but down the sides of the brisket, it's not going to go down "through the meat" The fat cap is placed down towards the fire to protect the brisket from the hot coals verses having the bare bottom, no fat cap of the brisket facing the coals.
icon_wink.gif
HTH, Bryan
That said I've done them both ways and it's all good.
icon_biggrin.gif

Here's the update.

First off, the brisket was great. I really enjoyed it! And so did the little wifey. Good smoke flavor, still juicy, loved it! I think I've had brisket before, not sure, if I have it was before I learned about "real" bbq and I don't really remember.

The cooker and the meat didn't behave at all like I expected them to though. The meat, didn't bother me so much as it was my first brisket. And the cooker just re-emphasided that I'm still a newbie at this :-)

This email may get a little long and I'll apologise up front for that. I took some notes throughout the day, which I'll share. They were not perfect like the cooking logs on the cooking topics pages and some are from memory. I was also trying to work on my wind screens today. And wouldn't you know that the little wifey also wanted to cut compound mitre angles for the crown molding we are putting up in the soon to come baby's bedroom (since I had the saw out and all).

Ok, so this gig started about 10:20AM this morning. I got the WSM all situated. Make shift wind screens in place as we had a good 5-10 breeze all day here in Buffalo. Cool day, but sunny. High about 70 today. I started with a full chimney of unlit. I took and poured about 1/3 in the ring, enough to cover a good solid single layer. Then I poured in three 5-lbs coffee cans which were full of a prior cooks (two bone in turkey breasts) left over unburnt coals which brought me up to about 3/4 of a ring. I dumped in the rest of the chimney. I'd say the charcoal ring was a full ring, but not over flowing. I then put 2 good chunks of apple on top, 2 good chunks of hickory on top, and tossed on some skinny/small pieces of oak left over from some molding work. I've been looking for an opportunity to burn those up
icon_smile.gif
I tossed in 15 little k's into the chimney and fired 'em up. Took Bryan's advice and headed in to the kitchen to pat dry the brisket and apply the rub. I could have swore I had worchester sauce in the fridge, but I didn't so just went right ahead with the rub. I used the Brisket version of that Texas rub I've read about on here. It's the first time I've used it. I rubbed it in good and headed back out. The coals were nicely ashed over. I filled the foiled Brinkman water pan 1/2 full with hot tap water, put the brisket on the top grate well centered, hooked up my Maverick ET-73, probe in the meat, probe on the grate. I spread out the 15 briqs on the unlit coals, making sure at least one nessled up against each chunk of wood. I assembled the middle section onto the bowl, then the lid on, putting a candy therm through the top vent. At this point it was 11:10AM, all 3 bottem vents 100% open, top vent 100% open. I topped off the brinkman water pan with more hot tap water.

And the rest of the cook goes like this:

11:10 - Brisket on, all vents 100%
11:25 - 190 at grate and lid, turned bottom three vents back to 50%
11:55 - 225 at grate and lid, turned bottom three vents back to 20%
12:45 - 252 at grate and lid, closed all three bottom vents
1:30 - 252 at grate and lid, took out the candy therm from the top vent and dialed it back to 20% open

and this darn cooker ran between 242 and 253 for the next 2 hours and 15 minutes with no vents open down low and the top vent at 20%. I realize I have some leak somewhere that is feeding that fire, but by darned I can't find it. I have molded the door as tight fitting of a seal as I can muster. The bowl and middle section are not "out of round" and fit snugly together. Other than the Maverick wire coming out from under the lid, all fit is snug there. The only thing I can think of is that the bottom three vents don't fit tight against the bowl and some air is getting in behind them even when they are closed. I'm going to work on snugging up the tabs on the inside of those to see if it helps.

3:45 - 242 at grate and lid, turned top vent back to 100% open
4:45 - 257 at grate and lid, Maverick was registering 170 in the meat. Added 3/4 gallon of hot tap water to the water bowl.

This was the first time I opened up anything on the cooker, and I was quick about it, just opened the door, used a watering can, and poured it in and closed it back up. I really wanted to look at that meat, but I resisted!!

5:15 - 254 at grate and lid, meat when down to 169.

5:45 - 251 at grate and lid, meat at 174.

I'm now 6.5 hours in on a 4.25 pound flat and still have 11 degrees to go!

6:30 - 247 at grate and lid, meat at 180.

The wife is hungary (and 8.5 months pregnant), she's starts cooking spirals mac and cheese because she can't hold out any longer macandcheese

6:40 - scared that my unborn son is going to be too full to experience brisket, I open up all the vents to 100% deciding to finish this off once and for all.

6:45 - 265 at grate, didn't dare look at the lid.

6:55 - 275 at grate, meat at 182.

7:10 - 280 at grate, Maverick probe finally registers 185 maverick

8 hours total time with a bit of hurrying at the end.

But, it did turn out great. This reinforces to me that it is important to cook by temp and not by time. I did spot check a couple other of places in the meat, and they registered less than 185, but I wasn't waiting any longer. taylor1 taylor2

Here's some pics of the finished product.

brisky1
brisk2

I did cooler it and I let it rest for about 1 hour.

letsopen
thingofbeauty
smokering
lookinggood

And the wife did like it a lot. She didn't put on any kind of bbq sauce. Good thing pregnant women like to eat!!
icon_smile.gif
I enjoyed it very much too, still juicy, nice texture. I tried the first couple of bits without any sauce to get the good full flavor of the smoke and meat. But, I just can't resist this spicy Habenaro BBQ sauce called Wango Tango made by Dinosaur BBQ dino

And lastly, what the heck do we do with all these left overs?

leftovers

Todd

Todd, Glad to hear it turned out good for you. Those pics are awsome, brisket looks nice and moist.
icon_cool.gif
Man you guys are light eaters.
icon_razz.gif
That brisket makes some darn good sammies for lunch. I let it get cold in the fridge and slice it up real thin, put some Hellmann's mayo on one slice of bread and white cream horseradish sauce on the other, couple slices of American Cheese and you got a awsome sandwich to eat. That beats a meatloaf sammie by just a tad.
icon_biggrin.gif

P.S. Kraft Spirals are my favorite boxed mac and cheese.

Todd... Bryans right, that flat would of just been enough for me! Course I'm 6'2" and 300 #'s
icon_razz.gif

What I do is slice it up reheat over slow heat (med-medlow) on the stove with some homemade bbq sauce... toast some rolls and whalla some GREAT sammies!
icon_wink.gif

By the way the flat looks awesome...
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back