First Brisket - enhanced - not bad - Fluke?

Ron Pierce

TVWBB Member
I did a batch of BRITU ribs today and wanted the ribs to have company. I had picked up a 3 lb brisket point at Wally-World for ~$6 and decided I'd throw it on at the last minute.

I hadn't studied up on briskets or been even remotely educated about what to look for at the beginning. I ended up with an "enhanced" brisket in the standard Corned Beef packaging. I coated it liberally with Montreal Steak Seasoning I had on hand and put it in the middle section of the smoker. The first 3 hours I smoked at 240, the next 4 were at 220. I pulled the brisket off at an internal temp of 160 - 170, depending on which thermometer I believe. I foiled and let it rest for an hour. By this point I had started reading up on brisket and fully expected it to be a tough piece of meat, since I had quit too early and wasn't willing to let it keep going.

I sliced into it and was very pleased with the results. It'll make terrific sandwiches. I ate entirely too much of it as I was slicing it for future consumption. (I've got a bit over half left, though
wsmsmile8gm.gif

My question is: Did I get unusually lucky with this brisket?

Thanks,
Ron

if you smoke a corned beef brisket point, you get a whole other thing - you get pastrami.

Its not smoked brisket - but its great!

Yup, Rich is correct. You didn't really smoke a brisket, you created some lunch meat
icon_smile.gif
...very very good, but still lunch meat.

Back