First Brisket... Any rub suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John G.

TVWBB Member
After perfecting poultry on the WSM, I'm about to try a brisket. Does anyone have any good rub suggestions? I've read through a bunch of posts, but nothing really caught my eye.

Thanks for any help.

John

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the response. I was thinking about it, but it has Worcestershire sauce in it, and I'm really not a big fan of Worcestershire sauce.

I think what I'm going to do is use the following rub, posted by Kevin Taylor:

Yum-Yum Steak Seasoning

4 tablespoon(s) Salt
2 tablespoon(s) Paprika
1 tablespoon Black pepper, coarsely ground
1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon Coriander
1/2 teaspoon Turmeric

And use a mixture of mustard, vinegar and salt for a mop sauce while smoking.

How does that sound?

John, i have used the wet rub recipe many, many times and you can't taste the Worcestershire in it, and you don't have to put it on if you don't want to. Bryan

John,

If this is any testatment to the wet rub Doug linked to......

I've used it on the only 3-4 briskets I've ever cooked in my life. On the second one, I took that and a butt to work for a lunch. Our receptionist (a vegatarian for 10 years) took one whiff and jumped on the brisket. She's from Texas and proclaimed it one of the best she had. On one hand I felt bad, on the other, I was d*mned impressed.

Bryan's point is well taken. You can't distinguish the W'shire flavor. Much like the mustard slather on butts.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I 2nd Greg's suggestion...They have a brisket blend that is not yet advertised on their website (pending their new brisket blend website), but you can ask for it in the comments area...Also, if you order, say, 2# of their regular rub, you can ask for a sample of their #2 (brisket blend) rub
icon_smile.gif
...Check out their gloves too
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill Hays:
...Also, if you order, say, 2# of their regular rub, you can ask for a sample of their #2 (brisket blend) rub
icon_smile.gif
... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure wish I'd caught wind of that little deal when I bought 2 lbs. of #1 10 days ago. C'est LaVie!

~Dave

i have used the Yum Yum a few times and its really good.. i just cut down on the heat a lil bit......go for it...

however the #2 rub....oh its great.. i just got two pounds of it for my folks in LA...gonna do four brisket points tom morning for sun night dinner...gonna grill some chicken,skirtsteak,hamburgers and some dogs as well.. and some corn too.......

enjoy the rub

I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions and comments.

I ended up going with the rub I described earlier. After six hours I applied some mustard and have been basting with apple juice from time to time.

My questions relates to cooking time. I put the brisket on at 6:30AM and have maintained a fairly consistent lid temp of 250F. There was a brief period of 210F and another brief period of 280F.

The original brisket weighed 14.5 lbs when I bought it. After trimming the fat it weighed about 10.5 lbs. If I go by the cooking time of 1.5 hrs a pound, I'd need to cook it for 15.75 hrs. The thing is that I'm registering an internal temp of about 185 - 190 now, after 12.5 hrs.

Is it reasonable to believe that after 12.5 hrs my brisket is done? If so, have I cooked it to fast? I've actually never eaten or seen a brisket before, so this is new to me.

Thanks,

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back