First Brined Bird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Orlovsky

TVWBB Member
Did my first brined turkey (breast) on Sunday. Used the receipe for Apple Brine. Size of bird 5 1/2 #. Target finish temp 165 degrees. Outside temp at start 27 degrees F.
Started a little later than planned but everything came out just right. Started with a full chimmney of Kingsford. Once those got going I added to the WSM. Then filled the ring about 3/4 full. Once I assembled the smoker the thermometer shot up to 450 degrees. After waiting about 30 minutes I added the bird and the temp shot down to 350 degrees. Stayed there the entire 2hrs 15 minutes.
This was the most succulent turkey I have every made. I thought deep frying produced a moist tender bird, this one was awesome.
Thanks to everyone on list for all of the pointers.

Beautiful color, Mark. Hope it tasted as good as it looks! My experience is that brining is great for keeping a bird juicy, but I'm skeptical about its ability to transfer much flavor to the meat. At least I've never been able to taste any of the herbs and spices I've added to my brines, so I've decided to go over to a more basic salt and water mixture. What do y'all think?

Regards,

Jim L.

Thanks Jim. Actually I was pretty suprised by the flavor. Though I did not taste the oranges, ginger, cloves, etc. I did feel the meat tastes "fresh". It did not taste tried out. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Nice looking breast, Mark! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif BTW, if you click on the little pencil & paper icon, above your post, you can edit it without needing to make a new post.

Jim, IMO, ... Nope, I'm not gonna say it. Let me just say that I don't brine my meats & poultry for hot smoking and/or barbecue. It turns out plenty moist and I prefer the natural flavors of smoked meat and poultry, without the added salt water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back