First barbeque attempt on Sunday

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi everyone,

I attempted my first barbeque session the Sunday using the Chicken on the Throne recipe. I had a few problems, but it wasn't too bad. First I was unable to inject the chicken properly because the needle on the syringe was too small to handle the spices. Then one of the chickens ended up crashing to the ground. Finally, I was unable to ever get the internal temperature up to 180 and had to resort to microwaving to finish it off.

I had a real good time, but I must say the end result was underwellming. There just didn't seem to be a whole lot of flavor to the chicken.

Oh well, I'll try again another time.

If anybody wants to see some pictures of the event and read the details, I've posted the info on my website at: http://www.carnali.com/chicken_on_a_throne.htm

- Al

Hi Al,

The chicken looks pretty good in the pictures. What kind of smoke wood did you use? Also, brining is a good way of getting some additional flavor into a chicken or turkey. I'll admit that I have had less than great results on a number of whole chickens that I have done. Currently been having a little better success with leg quarters, still need more work though.

Doug W

Hi Al,

A couple of weeks ago, I did a couple of chickens using some throne variations. My end result while good, wasn't great either, so I don't think your result was very different.

As for the temps, sounds like you had quite a few problems keeping the chickens over some heat! Based on my bbq and rotisserie experience, opening the cooker (and throwing chickens around the garage) cause them to lose heat really quick, and this adds a lot of time. Also, I've notices in my WSM experience that those last few degrees take the longest. I've given up a couple of times and finished chicken in the oven to meet a dinner time (or to crisp up some skin).

I would suggest doing a couple of simple butterflied birds like Chris has documented in Chicken! Chicken!, and maybe start with a little more fuel. This will help you get you bullet legs...

Also, when I first got my WSM, I noticed my coals were burning down pretty quick. A little adjustment to the door seemed to fix that after I noticed heat escaping through the sides of the door. It wouldn't hurt to start with a little more fuel for now either. Start up a chimney, then cover it with a layer of unlit coals (about 1/2 chimney) and wait for those to just ash over - not quite completely lit. This works for me quite well.

Good Luck on your next cook!

k

Thanks for the replies.

I used apple wood while smoking. Maybe I should have used something a little more powerful.

One curious thing. I've been taking chicken sandwiches for lunch this week and I've noticed the chicken seems to have more flavor in the sandwiches then it did in the original meal.

Good morning Al:

Having had so much success and fun following the chicken-on-a-throne (or as we call it beer-butt-chicken) recipe, I feel I'd be labeled chicken if I didn't reply! I generally follow the excellent directions provided at this site by Chris and for the rub I follow the directions in Smoke and Spice (Wild Willie's Wonderful Rub). With the rave reviews I've gotten so far from friends and family, I've continued to skip the injection part and by edict from my wife I always use pecan wood! When I do chicken, I always follow this recipe and usually smoke 4 at a time taking 4-6 hours. Boy, what a luxury you're experiencing of keeping the WSM at such a low temp! I have to work really hard to keep my temps down to insure the necessary long, slow smoke. Your experience with better tasting leftovers is in fact a real spice phenomenon. I've tested this theory on many unknowing dinner guests and have found it almost always true that meats I've smoked and let rest (or frozen and reheated for that matter) get the best compliments. By the way, I really am partial to the name of your town! Good luck on your future BBQ's.

?.John

Al-

I'll echo John's comment. I had left overs of the chicken I smoked last week, and I thought the left overs had a better taste. I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that on the day you cook, you've spent so much time cooking that your taste and smell have gotten "immune" to the subtle taste of the smoke/rub/meat.

Ken

Beer Butt Chicken is fun but to get the best results cooking chicken cook pieces. Reason is dark meat needs to cook to 180? and white to 160? (to stay moist). Cooking chicken at a higher temp will help you get the skin tender (not rubbery). I cook dark meat 3 1/2 to 4 hours and white 2 to 2 1/2.
If you use a spicy rub (heat) then offset that with a sauce that has sweetness to it.
Sounds like you like more of a smoke flavor so try something stronger than fruitwoods, but for competitions I've found the light smoke is best.
Marinating chicken and turkey works real well and it will help keep it moist.
Jim

Hi Jim,

Nice post regarding chicken. You mention higher temperatures...what temp do you shoot for?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back