First attempt and what I learned...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Babek

TVWBB Pro
This sunday was my first real attempt at smoking using the tips and techniques Ive learned through this and other sites. Im looking for feedback and I guess some explination as to where I went wrong.
First, when I took the spare ribs off the cooker the bark was really tough. The ribs had a really nice smoke ring but there was a layer of meat that I can only describe as jerky like. One problem was that I didnt use foil, which I will do next time.
Second, they were dry. I used rub, and left them on the cooker for four and a half hours. What is the normal time to cook ribs and at what temp.
Third, they were too smokey. I used four chunks of wood and will probably only use two next time. I did leave the top vent open the whole time so it wasnt stale smoke.
They tasted good but I was disappointed because my last batch turned out so much better and I had no clue what I was doing then.
The thermometer read between 225 and 250 the whole time. Maybe Its time for a new thermometer.

Any help, tips or explination would be appreciated.

I think that ribs can obviously be difficult cause you really want to cook them and get them tender but when you get to that point you've only got so long of a window to "rescue" them before they can dry out. The last batch I cooked took about 5 hrs (and the temp ranged from 225-270) and they turned out pretty good. I like to check them after four hours and test them with a toothpick. Just stick that baby inbetween the bones and they'll be done when you can poke it through several spots without much resistance and when you pull the pick out the ribs shouldn't try to lift off the grate. Ribs can be difficult at times to tell whether they are ready. This tip has really helped me to determine if the ribs are ready so give it a shot and see what happens. Also, the rib meat should pull back from the bones by about 1/2" and that is also a good indicator.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Babek:
[qb]...when I took the spare ribs off the cooker the bark was really tough. The ribs had a really nice smoke ring but there was a layer of meat that I can only describe as jerky like.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You removed the membrane, right? Just checking.

Where they spares or baby backs? Was it the same place that you got the meat on your successful cook? Was the meat previously frozen? I have found that the quality of the meat is about 80% of the success in the final results and some will say it is higher than that. If your temp was in that range you shouldnt have any problems with it being dried out unless the meat was not the best. I have had a friend make some baby back ribs from costco meat and they were quite dry after 4.5 hours. I get my ribs at a specialty meat store and they are very fresh and I get very consistent results. You are right about using less wood to keep the smokyness down. I wouldnt go and run to foiling just yet. The times for me have been 4-6 hours for baby backs and 5.5-9 hours for spares. Last week actually was the first time I cooked spares at less than 7 hours. I cooked them at 237 instead of 225 on the bottom grill. They came out great and I was surprised they finished so early. I usually check to see if they are done at the 4 hour mark on babys and now will check at the 5 hour mark on spares. I look to see if the ribs get that glossy wet look and also use the toothpick method. Good luck next time. Remember we are always trying to make our next cook better, experiment and have fun!

They were spares and I did get them at a different butcher than I did last time. And yes they were frozen. I have to admit that I was pretty disappointed with the quality of the meat once it was thawed, especially since the butcher is a personal friend and supposed to be one of the best in the area. The kicker is that on the two previous batches the meat was bought from BJ's, the equal of Costco, and the quality was better and they were cheaper than these...they were baby backs to boot.

Live and learn I guess. The good thing is that I get to keep trying.

Did you spray them with apple juice? That will help keep the surface moist and cut down on the drying out. Some folks add a little oil to the juice to help as well. Your time and temps were fine, if not a little quick for spares. I typically cook babybacks because my wife prefers them and they usually take 5-6 hours for me without foil. (I haven't perfected the foil technique enough to get consistently good results)

From your description, sounds like they were cooked too long.

The usual list: have you checked your thermometer for accuracy (boiling water method)? Were the thermometers checking the temp at the level of the ribs?

Do you spray the ribs a time or two during the cook (apple juice/vinegar/oil or combination)?

Four chunks of wood - how big o' chunks? What was the quality of the smoke coming out of the top vent?

On my last cook I added a couple of chunks of oak, but the smoke coming out was kinda billowy and white. Smelled a little bitter. I waited for it to thin out, but it didn't. I opened the access door and removed the two pieces of oak (the culprits), left the two chunks of cherry in. Then waited until the smoke thinned out and it smelled a bit sweeter. Then put the ribs on. Some of the better ones I've done.
Size of the chunks was about half of a fist each.

Im embarassed to admit this and have been thinking about it all day long. The thermometer is mounted on the lid and the probe on the inside of the lid measures about an inch, so Im wondering how inaccurate this was. Im definately going to replace that and hopefully have better control.

Worst spares I ever had came from a local butcher (supposedly reputable) when we had a hog butchered. Absolutely terrible and they were just as you described, dry like jerky with a tough bark and not much meat to them. In my area, most of the butchers aren't worth the extra money you spend. The spares that I get from Sam's club are pretty good stuff (meaty and they aren't too big like rhino ribs or something). I would say you just didn't get good ribs. Most of the stuff that is from big name packers are probably going to be consistent in quality. It takes time but you'll get the hang of it.

Hang in there Jim. It will get better. On my first cook I used two much wood also. The meat came out way to black and smokey. About two fist size pieces is all you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back