First 4 lb mini brisket

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Platinum Member
Well in 2 1/2 hours I am already at 142.
The wsm has been steady in the 240's.
My guess is this will not take all day like I expected. Does anybody else cook these little flats? I used a home made wild willys rub.
At 3 hours 149*. This is cooking quick.

I usually do 11 pound brisketts. But, one time I did a tiny 2 pound briskette and it was at 168 degrees in 2 hours. It was done by 3 1/2 hours.

It will prolly still plateau for a few hours. Maybe back off your high heat (lol!) and take her down to 210 --225 if you want to slow her down a bit.

Hey Susan-mine runs 'hot'!
Really, with sand and the bottom vents open less than 5% and the top 2/3's open, I get 245*. Perhaps with my smoker I would be ebtter off with water and running a little cooler.
at 160 I double foiled-no apple juice so I improvised with apple butter and used a little rub and my lexington vinegar sauce.
It took 8 1/2 hours. I refrig. after the cook and sliced this am.

It was fabulous!

How do you measure 5 percent? LOL
icon_smile.gif

I usually end up just using one vent and its usually just a crack open. Naturally, if you want a little cooler temp, try using the lower rack. My bottom rack runs about 10 degrees cooler.

Yeah, I don't think these mini briskets qualify as full fledged briskets (most of the fat has been removed, too) ... but they still smoke up pretty good and taste great (and don't take all night).

Phil, I agree with the 'it doesn't take all night' comment. 8 hours for this little brisket sure beats 18 for a butt. I was shocked with just how good it was. My only regret is that I waited till now to try one.

Back