Fired up my 2 new WSM's this morning

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

This is their maiden voyage. Each smoker has a Brisket on the lower rack and a Pork Butt on the top rack. They should get broken in pretty good today. I am using a mixture of Hickory, Apple, and Cherry wood. I don't usually mix the types of wood, but I felt crazy this morning, what can I say? Fall is here, got down to 38 last night. The only thing I do not like about it is the wind is blowing really hard. So, I put the 2 smokers in front of the garage with the garage door open to block most of the wind.

The thermometers I mounted in the lids are working great!! Took alot of pictures and will be taking more as the days progresses. I won't bother using any meat thermometers yet, after about 8-10 hours I will check the temps. I haven't had any trouble with the smokers getting too hot. I just filled the charcoal ring up almost to the top with unlit briquettes and then dumped about 3/4 of a charcoal chimney of lit coals on top of the unlit ones. Added the upgraded 2 gallon water pans with hot water. Put on the meat. Took pictures. Added the wood. Closed 2 bottom vents. Was about 225 at the lid then dropped to 200, so I opened a 2nd vent on the bottom. Still wasn't going up much at all so I opened the 3rd vent. Seems to be holding good now at 250. If it drops, I can open the door and if it goes up I can close a vent. No big deal. This is fun. Will give me good practice for my Klose pit.

It took me about an hour to get it under control. I was having fun playing around watching the temp go up and down. Next time I will shoot for a more smooth beginning.

I used a different dry rub on each piece of meat.

Rocky-

Sounds good! Wish I could stop by for a taste. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I find that using the Minion method, as you have, it does take about an hour to get things stabalized. After that, things seem to go on their own until late in the cook when you might have to open the vents or even stir the coals. When I did my first (and so far only) pulled pork, I got 16 hours out of one load in the ring without too much fussing.

Good luck. Let us all know how things came out.

Ken

Pat,

Are you adding coals to keep the temp up, or because your coals are actually burnt up? I routinely get 12-hour cooking sessions without adding coals. The temp will fluctuate, but as long as you're in Q range, you're OK.

Steve

Also, the chunks of wood you add should help build the coal layer and temp.

That should be fine for ribs and chicken.
Start with 15 to 20 lit coals spread across the top and 1 or 2 chunks of fist size wood. You should not have to add any coals thru that cook.
If is very windy it will cause the charcoal to burn up much quicker.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back