Firebricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Garcia

TVWBB All-Star
I bought some Firebricks yesterday to grill-up some pizza. I plan on rinsing the bricks in hot water to get some of the grit off and rubbing them with some Canola Oil. When not in use how do your store and maintain your firebricks for future usage??

Richard

WSM Classic, OTG 22 1/2" with Smokenator

I've never made pizza on the kettle and my food has never touched my bricks (not saying it shouldn't. I've just never cooked on them...a new challenge!). I use my bricks to contain the coals (and heat sink) for a mini minion method cook on the OTG.

I just leave them in the kettle...and have never cleaned them. If I'm cooking indirect they just lay flat on the charcoal grate on the "cool" side. If I'm cooking direct (coals over the entire charcoal grate) I lean them against the side of the bowl on the charcoal grate. They fit perfectly underneath the grilling grate.

If you're worried about them getting "dirty" between cooks maybe wrap them in HD foil and store them wherever you keep your other grillin' stuff.

wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Cash:
I've never made pizza on the kettle and my food has never touched my bricks (not saying it shouldn't. I've just never cooked on them...a new challenge!).

wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don, thanx for your reply! This is a first for me as I have never cooked pizza on my OTG. I bought six firebricks which I plan to lay-on-top of the OTG grill and put the raw pizza dough on top of the pre-heated firebricks and then put the lid-top on. Hope this works-out.

Richard

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by richard garcia:

Don, thanx for your reply! This is a first for me as I have never cooked pizza on my OTG. I bought six firebricks which I plan to lay-on-to of the OTG grill and put the raw pizza dough on top of the pre-heated firebricks and then put the lid-top on. Hope this works-out.

Richard </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've made pizza many times on my gasser using this. Works great! Your setup should work just as well...probably better.

Get out that camera and post some pics of your cook!!
icon_smile.gif

wsmsmile8gm.gif

Here is a stromboli I did on my otg.
I made a ring around the outside of the charcoal grate , keeping the center clear of charcoal.I then laid down some fire bick on the cooking grate and put my stone on the fire brick.Let it all heat up then I threw on my stromboli or a pizza just as well.

grilledstromboli.jpg

The only advice I can offer is this:
If you're using firebricks and washing them afterwards, make CERTAIN that they are completely dry for days before you try and use them again. Firebricks are very porous and absorb the water. If they still have internal water and you heat them up, they can explode and ruin your cook or worse injure someone. I would recommend just scraping them off with a metal spatula as opposed to really washing them.

You might want to give this product a look/see as well: http://www.stonewarepalace.us/

The Grill 'n Stone, unlike fire bricks, requires no special attention and comes in several sizes. It's reversible too so one side can be used for regular grilling and the other side is flat for pizza, fish, bacon.....

Dan

I do pizza right on the grill but you have to watch it. First I roll out the dough then oil with evoo and throw right on the grill till I have grill marks then remove,flip and do the sauce, extras and cheese and put back on the grill till cheese melts.

so a regular pizza stone will work? it seems like the temp in those pizza ovens is really hot so I am guessing you would need a good bit of lit charcoal. If using a pizza stone, is it necessary to raise it up with the bricks? I am really interested to try pizza on the kettle.

I recently got interested in baking pizza in my OTG and did my very first run of them last weekend using a cast iron pizza pan instead of a pizza stone. They were so so, with somewhat burnt bottoms. I need to work on charcoal arrangement and getting the temp a little higher.

Anyway, I picked up some firebricks from a local building supplier this morning and the salesman asked me if it was for pizza. ???
Well, apparently lots of people have been buying up firebricks in small quantities since an article came out last week in the LA Times food section detailing how to line your kitchen oven with firebricks to turn it into a pizza oven.

Hey Richard.
When I need to clean by pizza stone, I just pop it into my oven when my Wife does the Self- Clean Cycle. ( comes out lookin brand new ) Since Firebricks are made out of the same material (ceramic), I would think that should work on your bricks.
Anyhow Here's a little info that might help you out on your setup.

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timothy:
Hey Richard.
When I need to clean by pizza stone, I just pop it into my oven when my Wife does the Self- Clean Cycle. ( comes out lookin brand new ) Since Firebricks are made out of the same material (ceramic), I would think that should work on your bricks.
Anyhow Here's a little info that might help you out on your setup.

Tim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

---Tim, thanx for the grilling pizza information. I have an old "Lodge" cast-iron grill laying around and wondering how grilling a pizza on-it on my OTG would turn out?? Following the information instructions that you sent, I would set-up my firebricks with my cast-iron grill on top of these bricks or would this be overkill??

Richard

OTG Classic, OTG 22 1/2" with Smokenator

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by richard garcia:
I have an old "Lodge" cast-iron grill laying around and wondering how grilling a pizza on-it on my OTG would turn out?? ...
..... I would set-up my firebricks with my cast-iron grill on top of these bricks or would this be overkill??
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That might work. It's similar to using a perforated pizza pan or a pizza screen to bake pizza.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back