Fire Bricks

JoeW

TVWBB Fan
Where in the Houston can you find Fire bricks? I have checked ACE, Home depot, Lowes. No luck. Any other ideas?

Wow Joe - That doesn't seem reasonable that those folks wouldn't have them. Our local hardware store had them and so did Wall Mart here in Washington. Ace should be able to order them for you. Give them a try on an order basis. Bob B

Exactly what I thought. How could they not have them? Ace Hardware has them online but I need them for this weekend. I also don't really want to pay all that shipping for 2 bricks.

In the N. Virginia area none of the chain stores have them either. Look in the phone book for a brick yard or brick supplier. All metro areas will have a few.

A real brick supplier will have firebrick and if you want "splits" which are fire bricks that are half thickness. I have a bunch of the splits and use them for multiple bbq uses. Paid $1.25 for each one 2 years ago.

-David

Our local Ace Hardware has them. They will sell them singly.
I just bought two for $3.66 each. Tried the other nite in my OTS. Still learning to try smoking.

guy

almost all gravel/landscapping places have them.
especially the ones that carry firplace stones and coverings such as fake bricks.

A quick Google search shows there are several brick, masonary, and fireplace outlets in the Katy Tx area.

My local Ace store didn't have them either. I got mine at a local brick yard at a very reasonable price. I love them; they work great!

Check a fireplace or woodstove store, that's where I found mine. None of the local or big chain Hardware stores carried them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
Check a fireplace or woodstove store, that's where I found mine. None of the local or big chain Hardware stores carried them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1

I've used both firebricks and regular clay bricks in my kettle. There's no problem in using regular clay bricks. Do not use cement bricks.

now you tell me...really? I have a pallet of them from when my house was built. I had always heard they explode when too hot.

Fire bricks are specially formulated to withstand temps to 2000º.

'House' brick can crack in high temps, sometimes explosively. This is most probably due to moisture within the brick. When water converts to steam, it increases its volume 1700 times instantly. If the steam can't find a way out, it will make one. It's the same principle that makes popcorn pop.

The risk is yours.

Back