Finsih Butts In Oven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob D

Hi all, I am going to be doing a big que for labor day and need some advice. My smoker won't hold everything at once so I thought I would smoke the butts for about 8 hours and then finsh in a slow oven at about 250 degrees. I don't want to use any foil just finsh cooking them slow in the dry heat of the oven for another 4 hours or so and I was wondering if anyone has done this and how they turned out.
Thanks for any help.
Bo

Bob, I've seen many people finish butts in the oven...usually they keep it wrapped in foil! Don't know if it will make a difference if you don't foil it in the oven but I'm sure it will be fine either way! GOOD LUCK

Bob,
I am not sure what your time schedule is, but would it be possible to smoke/pull the butts the day before and then just reheat in the oven? Might work out better for you and less hassle of carrying all of the cooking accessories with you. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck

I have done that many times with butts and other meats. I don't use foil when they're in the oven. I recommend rotating your pans and switching them top rack to bottom (if you're using both oven racks) at least twice during their oven time. I often finish them sooner than planned so I can free up the oven. In that case I remove them from the pans and wrap them separately in a double thickness of heavy duty foil and put them in a cooler to stay hot.

When I cook I love to hold the butts in the oven for a couple of hours even after they are done (always wrapped in foil to prevent drying out loss) for me this allows additional time for the collegen to break down. I leave them in at 170. You will find they will almost fall apart after a while. If you are a big bark kind of guy this method softens your bark.

for what your thinking of doing check out this link form the coooking page, may be hyelpful

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/pork3.html

I also concur with the do the whole bunch the day before method and then just reheat with a little apple juice spritzed over the pulled product as you gently reheat it for serving.

make sure to post your results!! Good luck

Bob,

Sounds like you need to buy, beg, borrow or steal another smoker. Tell your wife it's not "real" barbecue if you cook it in the oven. If that doesn't work say "OK, but I need an old pan of yours to burn the wood chips in the bottom of your stove. And, uhm, you might want to take the batteries out of the smoke detector"

"it ain't fittin', it just ain't fittin'......it ain't fittin'" Mammy

Yah, I'd finish and pull it the day before...it reheats well. If I put in the oven, I usually use foil, but I don't use the oven much any more for finishing, I do it all in the WSM.

Bob, I would do the Butts the day before, pull them and that would be one less thing you would have to do that day. Pork Butt and Chuck Roll reheat very well. I think it tastes bettter the next day cause the smoke gets to mingle with all the meat. Reheat add sauce or serve the sauce on the side and no one would ever know buy us.
icon_biggrin.gif
Just a thought. Bryan

Hi all, sorry it has taken a while to reply, I was out of town for the weekend. I apprecaiate all the help I was able to track down a offset smoker for the labor Day que I am doing so I won't need to finish in the oven but I think I will try it next time. I am doing 4 butts about 8 lbs each and 10 racks of spares, can't wait getting hungry thinking about it. Once agian thanks for all the advice and happy queing to all.

That's a lotta food Bob, hope it goes well. By my reckoning, you should be able to feed about 65+ adults with that menu. Good luck and have fun!

If ya do finish in the oven, you could try a roaster with a lid and a rack on the bottom inside the roaster to keep the butts elevated from the drippings.

Depending at where they are in the process when they go in the oven they can end up finishing in quite a pool of fat. I don't care for that myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back