Finishing sear on cast iron skillet (without flames?)

I'm thinking about searing with a torch, too. Fire extinguisher at the ready. Could do this on the grill grates, I guess...
But that pan sauce is to die for!

After a few too many flame-related incidents involving my CI skillet and wok, I finally broke down and got an infrared thermometer and am loving it so far. It has made a world of difference in keeping the skillet and wok below the smoke point (and more importantly, below the flash point) of the oil. A friendly owner of a great seafood store near Seattle also got me to try avocado oil, with a smoke point of around 520 F. I haven't had a chance to try the reverse sear again, but the infrared thermometer has already saved me from a few smoky kitchens and flare-ups as I start to get a feel for what temperatures are generated by various stop-top settings. I hope to give reverse sear another try this weekend. Thanks again for the ideas, tips, and suggestions.

Mark to get a perfect reverse sear let the steak rest 10-15 minutes before searing the steak. Let internal temp of steak drop below 100 before searing the steak. Good luck!

With tips like this I might just learn how to cook one day (I like it)

Back