finishing rub for pork shoulder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
In a number of recipies and on various posts I've read about serving previously cooked meats they refer to adding a little rub to the meat with a moistener like apple juice with pulled pork for example as your reheating.

I was thinking about this in terms of not wanting to make things overly salty or dry and was wondering to any of you who do this do you vary the recipie and lighten up on the salt, or other spices, for your finishing rub?

The recipie that got me thinking about this was the cardogs salmon with the finishing rub totally omitting salt.

Any thoughts?

I mix in the finishing rub right after pulling the pork. It is comprised of my pre-rub-- paprika, cayenne, black pepper, and granulated garlic-- plus a little chili powder, thyme, and kosher salt. This dry rib-finishing rub also works well.

For additional re-heating moisture, apple juice is good, and even just a little water is fine if you have no juice or broth handy. Serve with vinegar-based sauce, and all is right with the world.

Lately, I've also tried adding a minor amount of tangy tomato-based sauce to the pulled meat-- barely a couple tablespoons per pound-- and find it adds an interesting dimension.

Today I'm reheating the pulled meat from 12 chickens I did last Thursday vacum sealed and froze. i'm going to use 22 1/2 kettle and I was going to use a little of Steve Raichlens Basic BBQ (from How to Grill) rub and apple juice then some bullseye original with a touch of honey. The chicken has a nice smoked flavor but much of that is lost in the fat and skin. This rub has a hickory salt component. Maybe I'll back off on the sauce and try a couple of teaspoons/lb and see what happens/ thanks Doug!!

I agree with Doug, when pulling pork I add additional rub to the meat.

When reheating, which is what I am doing right now, I place meat in a bowl and spritz with apple juice and then microwave for 1 minute, then I add a little more rub and remicrowave for 15-20 seconds. Then make your sandwich and add your sauce.

I too sprinkle after pulling I like and use Texas Rib Rangers. I have been known to mist it with a little vinegar and apple juice = parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back