Finishing restore of SSP: Seeking Char-Bin Handle & Utensil Hooks

Mike-GA

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm Getting pretty close to finishing a restore of a SSP I've always wanted. I'd like to replace my melted gray Char-Bin Handle (with Black or Gray) and get 2 additional Utensil Hooks (I think gas grills of same vintage use same hooks). I'd be glad to pay a fair price.

SSP_Char-Bin Handle.jpgSSP_Utensil Hook.jpg

As an alternative for Char-Bin Handle, I've been trying to find a Stainless Steel cabinet handle so no chance of melting in the future? Problem is that the existing holes are about 2 1/4" Center to Center which is pretty obscure. Anyone know of a Stainless Steel handle that could fit SSP Char-Bin? Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes, those tool hooks are the same as the ones used on Genesis 1000 grills. I know I have some extra ones in a box somewhere. I will look for them and report back.

What you need are some custom handles by zavod.... https://www.facebook.com/brian.oneal.14661

message him and tell him what you want and he'll make it happen.

buyC5ohfw25BIYFz5ePKNaSxhNjn_xa8iVYUNM18ZKrJBjB0vKOPvYrU9oFgAdmqXnrIgdou8zQEL0n5z9zklAaNfmq1HEKyqyX1N3QcI5mpsXBMrv-b3gfo1fIZtxQTECKaLzp89011f5OQLlFWwOp2N_ZeNSTIi6IkrIOg4t5FMfLrnp-hsEd_vbz7GemZczWHw3O84eTlBAIUXHI0i6xfgpvPvgaHmOYWi0E4nWuR8kZX8DhUMOE7YYxxPAnpnw6p0mOYXgARSqWLhHTC0g3eNFxOsNCnRsWbXV5MvW1S5_8ojObhE8Vy5bZ9zpC3tAEsGZg7OS4N5NtzWgsUAGWb2MQPlkzL6nX4p9ViT4LLF5Zlkl6mUk_-3aR3ae0UcWJ_JWcjqFU-UFV2UGsPLecT76t6hDlIMTyv3TYamPIfNKty3as9fviTJBPkKFEf3XjWMpDDccjr6p276FlUIoFPThjx1zIuJDl3rf1dDDJZnMWxCfQpJNlBNkQ0XyBOiZ_fuMX3zv4NeVy-UlAB-jxNy0B3ETPh-wHdG54_Row0f9m1tF98xSQCvqF3FTAIu8OaFFI0OcESBRV7J862_tpLgoOFdlzQjJ1rdc14ZQnv9y04OeH6qTgY1R08F09E53diiqDbUEWKc_MYnVMwP0d0XujnuIMPMcrXY_Wueb1DaXmRAsHb3qKm0XVZuhYh4u65SBOazfqfLByp-cSiJQyiBVPVBtICmTVA6Cdw58j7oZZ1RqkTgm9ElDSjlRaqTVsgwo8XXKesIlrmZFT_wPKTZanhzLzG42jNTy399HPL5i7SLuiQQUmv7WKIXQUlsHtb-MWKL2Ky0iRdKzbGd8RYhdIA-G4cN5xkXf2tUcuAHIRaquSmv9ecK_87FIIJYsU4M5drTkw7K6wpDukmCbtzWOfLLf7-VkPQ0Uexsy4kHvqURQ=w1173-h880-s-no

What you need are some custom handles by zavod.... https://www.facebook.com/brian.oneal.14661

message him and tell him what you want and he'll make it happen.
t
buyC5ohfw25BIYFz5ePKNaSxhNjn_xa8iVYUNM18ZKrJBjB0vKOPvYrU9oFgAdmqXnrIgdou8zQEL0n5z9zklAaNfmq1HEKyqyX1N3QcI5mpsXBMrv-b3gfo1fIZtxQTECKaLzp89011f5OQLlFWwOp2N_ZeNSTIi6IkrIOg4t5FMfLrnp-hsEd_vbz7GemZczWHw3O84eTlBAIUXHI0i6xfgpvPvgaHmOYWi0E4nWuR8kZX8DhUMOE7YYxxPAnpnw6p0mOYXgARSqWLhHTC0g3eNFxOsNCnRsWbXV5MvW1S5_8ojObhE8Vy5bZ9zpC3tAEsGZg7OS4N5NtzWgsUAGWb2MQPlkzL6nX4p9ViT4LLF5Zlkl6mUk_-3aR3ae0UcWJ_JWcjqFU-UFV2UGsPLecT76t6hDlIMTyv3TYamPIfNKty3as9fviTJBPkKFEf3XjWMpDDccjr6p276FlUIoFPThjx1zIuJDl3rf1dDDJZnMWxCfQpJNlBNkQ0XyBOiZ_fuMX3zv4NeVy-UlAB-jxNy0B3ETPh-wHdG54_Row0f9m1tF98xSQCvqF3FTAIu8OaFFI0OcESBRV7J862_tpLgoOFdlzQjJ1rdc14ZQnv9y04OeH6qTgY1R08F09E53diiqDbUEWKc_MYnVMwP0d0XujnuIMPMcrXY_Wueb1DaXmRAsHb3qKm0XVZuhYh4u65SBOazfqfLByp-cSiJQyiBVPVBtICmTVA6Cdw58j7oZZ1RqkTgm9ElDSjlRaqTVsgwo8XXKesIlrmZFT_wPKTZanhzLzG42jNTy399HPL5i7SLuiQQUmv7WKIXQUlsHtb-MWKL2Ky0iRdKzbGd8RYhdIA-G4cN5xkXf2tUcuAHIRaquSmv9ecK_87FIIJYsU4M5drTkw7K6wpDukmCbtzWOfLLf7-VkPQ0Uexsy4kHvqURQ=w1173-h880-s-no
Thanks for contact. Those are sweet looking... matching wood handle, vent cool touch, bail part, and char bin handle. The red painted logo is a really nice detail. Looks like great craftsmanship.

BTW, The red kettle looks sharp. I went with Copper on my SSP restore and updated with stuff from Gen 4 Performer like electric start and wider bail. I see you even changed details like the gray frame end cap to black near the part on the bail. I thought of changing that but thought getting that part would be like trying to find a needle in a hay stack.

Thanks for contact. Those are sweet looking... matching wood handle, vent cool touch, bail part, and char bin handle. The red painted logo is a really nice detail. Looks like great craftsmanship.

BTW, The red kettle looks sharp. I went with Copper on my SSP restore and updated with stuff from Gen 4 Performer like electric start and wider bail. I see you even changed details like the gray frame end cap to black near the part on the bail. I thought of changing that but thought getting that part would be like trying to find a needle in a hay stack.

I believe these are the ones I got, although it might have been the 1" ones.

Just measured my SSP. The 1 1/4" seem correct. Added to cart. Thanks for looking up.
I consider myself extremely fortunate to have such a beautiful redhead SSP that I actually received for free from a friend. Obviously it needed some cleanup and some upgrades, but in my opinion it's the single best grill you can own. I'm always happy to help even a little bit in the restoration of another SSP.

This is one of the things I love most about this forum…helping each other out. Mike-GA mailed a Quick Connect to me that I should get any day, which will help me resolve an issue on this project:
View attachment 66664View attachment 66667View attachment 66665View attachment 66666
I like the SSP, it's very much the charcoal version of the Genesis 1000 gas grills. Yours is coming along nicely, and I'm interested in seeing how that quick connect works out. You must be sure you will be able to get that tank refilled or you wouldn't be going that route so keep us updated on your progress. Mike sent you his quick connect and I'm sending him his missing tool hooks, we do have a good bunch here!

This is a great bunch of enthusiasts. It’s really nice how folks come here with positive and helpful attitude down to helpful comments or just going to the humor thread for giggles. I’m really appreciative of folks like Steve who’ve helped me get tough to find parts and others who who added valuable comments to mine and mostly to other folks post that I’ve read that have helped me out along the way.

I really, really like the spring green and other vibrant colors like red on the SSP. My Copper SSP is now my primary but I think an 18“ kettle rounds out the dynamic duo.

This is one of the things I love most about this forum…helping each other out. Mike-GA mailed a Quick Connect to me that I should get any day, which will help me resolve an issue on this project:
View attachment 66664View attachment 66667View attachment 66665View attachment 66666!
View attachment 66664View attachment 66667View attachment 66665View attachment 66666
Love the color combo! Looks better than new.

I did mine about a week ago. I used Testor's enamel model paint. 2 drops of Silver with 2 dribbles off a toothpick of gold and white. Applied thinly with a Q-Tip. I think 1 or 2 coats is best to keep brushed steel look.

I did a 3rd coat to cover a mistake so it started to lose the brushed look but stilll pretty good.

I thought the Weber Badge was going to be plastic but I was happy it is cast metal, probably cast Zinc.

Weber Logo repaint.jpg

I did mine about a week ago. I used Testor's enamel model paint. 2 drops of Silver with 2 dribbles off a toothpick of gold and white. Applied thinly with a Q-Tip. I think 1 or 2 coats is best to keep brushed steel look.

I did a 3rd coat to cover a mistake so it started to lose the brushed look but stilll pretty good.

I thought the Weber Badge was going to be plastic but I was happy it is cast metal, probably cast Zinc.

View attachment 66710
It looks really good. It sounds like you took a different approach to it than I do. I repaint the entire badge with hi heat rustoleum and then sand the surface to remove the paint from the shiny parts.

It looks really good. It sounds like you took a different approach to it than I do. I repaint the entire badge with hi heat rustoleum and then sand the surface to remove the paint from the shiny parts.
Your result looks great so your method is good. I prepped by first wiping surface with rubbing alcohol. Then just painted the letters/logo. I left the black background alone since it was in good shape.

I only touched up the black with toothpick of black paint to cover small spots where the silver accidentally went.

Back