Finally got a good deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Babek

TVWBB Pro
Was a groomsman in a wedding a few months back and as a gift I got a $75 Home Depot gift card. Headed straight for the Q dept to see what I could get. Got a 22.5 silver that was supposed to sell for 94.97 but was mismarked at 79.97...so picked it up for a total of $4.97. Also grabbed a cover (not that Im going to keep it outside) charcoal rails, and drip pans. Im psyched...What should be my first cook??? Thinking bone in skin on chicken breasts and wings.

I'd recommend bone-in skin-on chicken thighs, brined for a couple of hours first of course. Breasts turn out a little dry IMO, and I'd grill wings instead of smoking them.

Another suggestion would be a pork loin. Cook indirect, but first sear it on both sides. I usually just pile the coals on one side because it's easier to sear than using the baskets. You'll find a number of recipes on this site.

Be careful not to over cook it. I take the meat up to 145, remove, tent and it will rise about 10 degrees.

Paul

STUFF that pork loin with tapenade, slap some bacon strips on the outside, and tie up the whole shebang and MAN you got yerself something spectacular (Raichlen's got the recipe in his How to Grill book, pg 121)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back