Feeding 36 hungry Polacks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Babek

TVWBB Pro
Today is my daughters first birthday and weve planned a party for next Sunday. The menu will consist of pulled pork sammies, cole slaw, beans and corn bread.

The guest list keeps rising and with this many big eaters on the way not only quality but quantity are at issue. Ive ordered 50 pounds of bone in pork butt and am hoping its enough. As far as the beans and slaw go Im going to eyeball it. Im figuring about three heads of cabbage at least and am going to BJ's for industrial cans of baked beans.

Does 50 lbs sound like enough or should I get a bit more. Im planning on taking leftovers into work so Id like a bit more. And is it gonna fit???

You didn't say how many people were coimng. Title says 36, but then you said it was rising. Breakdown of adult men vs women? Children?

Cooked weight= a little over half start weight.
BBQ, slaw, and beans... I assume beer. Leaving room for cake.... You should have enough.

Make sure you buy a more "filling" beer just to be safe.
icon_biggrin.gif

50 lb butt should net at least 25 - 28 lb of meat. A typical sandwich will use about 4 oz of meat, and 6 - 7 oz will make a generous sandwich. If you calculate using a big 7-oz sandwich, that gives you 25 lb x 16 oz = 400 oz / 7 oz = 66 generous sandwich servings.

50 lb of butt is probably going to be six or seven butts, and you don't really want to try to cook more than four at once (IMHO). Suggest you do two cooking sessions. Cook the first batch, shred while hot, let cool in shallow pans, then pack in ziplocks or vaccuum bags. Alternately, pull while hot, let cool, put straight into a double-thickness foil restaurant pan and seal tightly with foil. On the day of the party, set the oven about 275, sprinkle some apple juice and some rub over the previously pulled pork, reseal the foil over the top, and heat in the oven till hot while the remaining butts that you cooked that day have a rest in the ice chest.

BEANS
10 lb of canned beans x 16 oz = 160 oz of beans / average serving size of 3 oz = about 53 3-oz servings of beans from 10 lb canned.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Coleslaw for 50

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 50 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Salad

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
7 pounds shredded cabbage (about 9 lb whole heads)
3 cups cider vinegar
24 ounces granulated sugar
1 ounce salt (1 1/2 tbsp)
1 tablespoon celery seed

Shred or chop cabbage.

Combine vinegar, sugar, and seasonings. Add to cabbage. Mix lightly. About fifty 2-3 oz servings

Source: "Vegetable and Pasta Salad Recipes"
Copyright: "© 2004 by Prentice-Hall, Inc."
Yield: "4 1/2 quarts"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 71 Calories; trace Fat (2.4% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 232mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Red cabbage may be substituted for part or all of green cabbage.

VARIATIONS:

Cauliflower Broccoli Salad. Substitute 3 lb 8 oz EP (edible portion) each of cauliflower and broccoli florets for the cabbage. Add 3 oz chopped onion. Serve soon after preparing.

Green Pepper Slaw. Add 4 oz chopped green pepper, 2 oz chopped onion, and 4 Tbsp celery seed.

[Note from Keri - substitute what kind of dressing you like - I posted this mainly for the cabbage amounts for you.]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you are going to have kids at the party, why don't you pickup a bag of chicken fingers or hot dogs from BJs. It will leave more of the good stuff for the adults.

Interested to know how this one turns out. I've been volentered to cook for some family (about 50)in april. I was going to cook 4 nice butts on the first round and foil them and rest in a cooler then cook about 6 beer can chickens in wide open mode. I figure they take about 90 min or so. Figure that would be enough meat with beans, slaw, potatoe and pasta salad. Good thought about hot dogs and suce for the kids. Could cook them on the kettle.

Tell me about it Susan...the average weight of the men is 250-300 lbs and the women arent all that much smaller.
icon_razz.gif
The way we eat is scarry. Example is at a golf tournament my cousin and I average 15-20 Kelly dogs a piece, along with a lot of beer and then go for the big dinner after the round.

Miss Keri et al, I have a similar problem...pew-wee football team and families.
How long should it take to warm a couple of trays of BBQ in the oven as you describe?

If there are 50 people-mixed kids,women, and men, I figure about 3 people per lb of cooked Q or 18lbs or so...I guess I should three large aluminum trays. Am I on target?

While I am at it. One more question.

Does anybody warm pulled pork in a WSM at 250?

It would seem to be a convenient way to keep it hot w/o electricity...How long does it take to warm in a tray or two or three?

Steve, if you're talking about the LARGE full-size restaurant aluminum pans, they'll hold about 3 butts each, if I remember right. The smaller half pan is what I use for a single butt - you could probably get one and half to two butts in the half pan if you packed it tight, but if you pack it TOO tightly that would make reheating more difficult. If you're looking at 18 lb cooked then you're probably looking at no more than 36 lb raw which is about 4 to 5 butts depending on size. I'm betting you could get it all in 2 restaurant-size pans, or maybe five half pans.

Several ways to go about reheating. If you put covered half-pans into the WSM at about 250 for, say, probably an hour and a half or so, it should get you back up to 160 temp or so for serving - you need to be back at a MINIMUM of 140 for serving. Don't know if all those half-pans OR 2 full pans would fit in a WSM to reheat, though. They MIGHT, I just can't picture it at the moment. An oven at 300 for maybe an hour and a half, more or less, would probably get you there. I'd keep a thermo probe stuck into the pulled meat to keep track.

Think about this, too - see what size pans will fit in the WSM and reheat as much as you can in there for the effect of pulling meats straight from the smoker (the dramatic effect adds to the fun, eh?), then find a great-aunt or grandma who has one of those old 18-quart electric roasters with the removable inner pan. An 18-qt roaster will hold 35 lb (raw weight) of pulled pork with extra space to spare (55 lb raw weight will pack it tight to the brim). To speed things along, load your pulled pork into the roaster pan insert, add about 4 cups or so of liquid to the pan full of pork (like juice collected from the cook and resting plus chicken broth from a can plus a little cider vinegar and a few tablespoons of rub, maybe). Seal the roaster pan insert with HD foil, set the roaster pan insert in a regular oven at about 300, and heat for about 1.5 to 2 hours, or till it's hot. THEN transfer the roaster pan insert back to the electric roaster to keep warm, with the roaster temp set about 175. I got this approach from a caterer.

Another idea is this (which I stole blatantly
from Steve in KC from the Forum a few years ago for my notes:

"On the pulling of the pork:
I don't know how to plan on doing it, but if you really do take it that high and let it rest, it will be a snap. I would suggest doing the following:
Put on a pair of white cotton gloves that meat cutters use, THEN put on a pair of latex ones over them. The latex keeps the near boiling juice out and the cotton will keep the heat out. It works like a charm! (save the bones for the pooch!)

On the reheating of pulled pork:
Costco has cheap chaffing dishes for sale. They are made out of wire and cost about $3.50/ea. Sterno comes in a 12 pack and costs about $7/box. The full length pans run at $7 for a 10 pack and the half pans cost about $6 for a 20 pack." [Note from KC - I got mine like this at Sam's.]

"When you fill the bottom (full-deep pan) with water up to the line that is about half way down the side, do so with HOT HOT HOT water. The hotter you can get it the better. The reason for this is, that if just use warm tap water, you'll eat up your sterno's trying to heat the water. If you start out with HOT water (boiling if you can) the sterno just helps the water maintain it's temp. I'd say it will take you at LEAST an hour to get it from 40 to 140 minimum IF using HOT water. 2 hours of using warm tap water. Take a couple of polders/meat thermos with you so you can check the temp."

Do any of these help?

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Keri, you are just full of ideas. I think the oven or WSM approach, depending on where the event will be held, would work fine. I'll count on at least 1 1/2 hours to heat thru to 140 min.

You are very kind to take the time to respond with sooo much info. Thanks.

Hi all,

Once again I'd like to give my praise of the 18qt roasters that you can buy pretty cheaply at just about any store. I buy mine at Wal-mart and they easily hold two butts and warm them to eating temperature very quickly. They're also awesome for keeping meat warm over long periods of time.

I've got two of these and a Rival, they're awesome for what you're needing.

Also, the deep pan on the inside makes it incredibly easy to pull meat.

No problem a'tall, Steve - just be sure to allow a little extra time in case you need more than the 1 1/2 hours, depending on how much meat you have packaged together.

B., I've been wanting one of those roasters for my very own for ages, but just couldn't justify it. I've always managed to borrow one when the occasion called for it. Which brand do you like best?

I have a bit of a reputation with those who have been on the board for a while - I have a very difficult time creating a short post.
icon_biggrin.gif

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back