Favorite way to grill bananas?

Dave Russell

TVWBB Honor Circle
My wife isn't bananas about bananas, so I've never grilled 'em that I can remember til this year. I know, that's terrible.

Anyway, I took Chris Lilly's recipe for grilled fruit skewers and just used it on bananas split in half. If they're soft I'll cut in half the other way as well. Put 'em in a bowl with nothing but some maple syrup and cinnamon, as well as a dash each of cayenne and cumin. I'll put the flat (cut) side down first, and after turning I'll drizzle a little more of the spiced syrup on 'em. Take off when soft and some carmelization's started to top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. So simple, but so good.

Anyone else do something like this?

i cut them in half lengthwise and dip them cut-side-down onto a plate of raw sugar.

i grill them cut side up (peel down) until they get soft.
i take them off and hit the top with a torch to caramelize/candy the sugar.

then i drizzle with a balsamic chocolate sauce or a vanilla brandy sauce.

sometimes i'll grill them sugar side down to get the caramelization that way, but it really depends on my mood (and the weather)

Thanks for the tips, guys.

George, I kinda like the soft bananas after the outside is all carmelized...at least with ice cream. Have to give the plantains a shot, though.

I just slice 'em lengthwise and grill 'em. I also like to marinate them in rum before I do that!
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TroyRedington:
i cut them in half lengthwise and dip them cut-side-down onto a plate of raw sugar.

i grill them cut side up (peel down) until they get soft.
i take them off and hit the top with a torch to caramelize/candy the sugar.

then i drizzle with a balsamic chocolate sauce or a vanilla brandy sauce.

sometimes i'll grill them sugar side down to get the caramelization that way, but it really depends on my mood (and the weather) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Troy, the raw sugar method with the vanilla brandy sauce sounds really good. Bananas Foster as always been a favorite of mine, as well as a Hispanic version that's done in a local Mexican restaurant. Never had balsamic chocolate sauce, though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Perrin:
I just slice 'em lengthwise and grill 'em. I also like to marinate them in rum before I do that!
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Phil, as you can see from my last post, I'm all for some rum with cooked bananas. You don't like 'em sweetened, though? Of course, ice cream makes up for that.
icon_smile.gif

Back