Favorite Q Tools? Tongs, Spatula, etc.

PaulK

TVWBB Member
Ok, sorry if this is a boring question...

Any favorite brand or model of BBQ tools (tongs spatula, etc.) out there that fit the end hooks on a current model Genesis? I have a variety of tools I've accumulated over the years and am not in love with most of them, plus several do not fit the end hooks. I'd really like a quality set of matching tongs and spatula that hang easily, work great and look nice.

Thanks!

I like long locking tongs. As for much else I have a large spatula I modified. I don't know why companies that make them feel I want a blunt rounded end UGGH! So I cut off the rounded end and put a nice (almost sharp) bevel on the end and one side. Love that spatula it's one of my constant grilling companions. I.E. When I cook salmon, I roast it skin side down. I do not flip it. I'll many times make a glaze for it. One of the favorites of my daughter is an orange/maple glaze. When the fish is cooked I simply run that big spatula between the skin and flesh. The skin stays put. Once the grates cool the skin will release easily and it gets thrown out. If anyone ever took that spatula they would meet with an ugly fate! LOL

For the items that do not fit on the hook, I have a roll of rawhide "lace" ( I have no idea why they call it "lace) that I got from Tandy Leather that I would then cut a short piece from and tie a knot to make a small loop. Before I tie it, I put it through the tool's hole, and the rawhide loop hangs nicely on the hook. You could use almost anything, but the rawhide "lace" gives it a rugged manly look and feel.

Also, there is a separate section on here for accessories like utensils. (Hank Hill calls them "propane accessories", I tell you what.) They may have more info about which set to buy in that section. I like the Weber stuff, but Weber has several different lines.

I like long locking tongs. As for much else I have a large spatula I modified. I don't know why companies that make them feel I want a blunt rounded end UGGH! So I cut off the rounded end and put a nice (almost sharp) bevel on the end and one side. Love that spatula it's one of my constant grilling companions. I.E. When I cook salmon, I roast it skin side down. I do not flip it. I'll many times make a glaze for it. One of the favorites of my daughter is an orange/maple glaze. When the fish is cooked I simply run that big spatula between the skin and flesh. The skin stays put. Once the grates cool the skin will release easily and it gets thrown out. If anyone ever took that spatula they would meet with an ugly fate! LOL

Thanks! Yea, I have an old spatula that is very long, very little angle on the handle and flat/almost sharp on the end. its also serrated on the left side so you can cut into somethign if you want. I hate to get rid of it, but its long in the tooth and doesn't hang on the genesis side hooks. have a zip tie loop on it for now, but looks a little ghetto!

Also, there is a separate section on here for accessories like utensils. (Hank Hill calls them "propane accessories", I tell you what.) They may have more info about which set to buy in that section. I like the Weber stuff, but Weber has several different lines.

Thanks Greg...Ive never ventured out of the weber area, but that sounds like the place. I posted here as others would have the large hook issue if they have a weber genesis, at least the later ones.

You mention liking some weber stuff, which ones?

Well, for cleaning brushes, I haven't found anything better than the Weber 21" three sided brush. As far as tools, I don't know why they have the Weber line, the Weber Essentials line and the Weber Original line, but they all look good to me.

I'm pretty partial now to the Weber Style line of stuff. Not that there's not other good tools, but their tongs and spatulas seem to work the best of anything I've yet used. Their super wide spatula is just the trick for getting pork butts off the smoker.

A complete and total necessity for me is a pair of grill gloves. I love the black and red Weber gloves, because they come in a medium size, which fits my hand better.

I also like the Gecko Grip silicone gloves. They are great for taking whole, unwrapped pork butts, ribs or briskets off the smoker.

I have the Weber Style SS Two-Piece Barbeque Tool Set. These were the nicest ones they offered, only problem is they are too long to fit in a drawer. I also use the Weber 3 sided brush and the smaller Weber brush that gets in between the grates really good.

Back