Favorite cooking procedure for back ribs?

Craig C

TVWBB Fan
Howdy folks, I,m looking for opinions on smoking back ribs. I tried the BRITU method a few weeks back and liked the results, but I'd like to hear some of your favorite methods. I plan on firing up the WSM this Sunday. Thanks for any info.

I trim the ribs and apply a rub heavy on the meat side and about a third on the bone side 30-45minutes prior to placing them on the cooker. I then cook at 235 for 2.5-3 hours and then foil them with some type of fruit juice and brown sugar. I start checking the tenderness after about an hour in the foil. When the ribs are tender I pull them out and place them back on the cooker for 20-30 minutes to tighten them up. Thats about it.

Good luck
Rick

Welcome Craig!

I do pretty much like Rick. Rub the ribs, then go start the fire (I do minion method.) Cook for about 3 hours, depending on your temp. Wrap in foil with a little juice of your choice, return to smoker for about an hour. Unwrap, sauce if you want, and return to the smoker for around a half hour.

The key thing to remember is that everyone's "temperature" will be a little different, and that makes a pretty big difference in cooking times. Get a good thermometer that will tell you the "lid" temp and let that be your bible.

Back