Favorite BBQ sauce for chicken

Head Country "Hot", when I sauce it ~ Excellent on pork as well. HC "Original" for the kids.
icon_wink.gif

The Jim Beam sauce from Sams is good on most anything. Or, depending on where you are, there is a brand called John Boy and Billy's grillin' sauce. Good stuff down here.

I've had Jimbo and Bobby Sauce before (my bad....John Boy and Billy), but think it will be too tangy for my chicken. I prefer it on pork chops. Has anyone actually tried the Blues Hog Sauce? Is it good on chicken? Bone-sucking sauce?

It ain't red, but the best sauce on chicken IMHO is Carolina Treet. You CANNOT burn the sauce because it has no sugar. I marinate chicken in it and then use the marinade to sauce as soon as the chicken hits the grill. It is also good on chops. You should be able to find it in your neck of the woods. If not, order online (www.carolinatreet.com). We have friends all over the country who order direct from the company.

I like to mix sweet baby rays or KC Masterpiece with 1 cup of apricot or pineapple preserves. It gives the sauce a nice added twist. I have also tried the BRITU Sauce mixing KC with Honey that is really tasty as well.

Thom,

Just received a "CARE" package from a buddy down in Myrtle Beach; Bottles of Carolina Treet, Scott's, Shealy's and Rev. Marvins BBQ Sauce. Not having been weened on vinegar sauces, this should be an education in regional sauce preferences.

The Carolina Treet and Rev. Marvin's both appear to be mustard sauces.

There is mustard in the Treet. The vinegar does not dominate, but it does help draw flavor in all the way to the bone. Cook some narrowhead with Treet over hickory. Lip-smacking, bone-sucking good!

Check out their site for other recipes. I sent them a potato recipe that uses Treet. I'll post it in the recipe forum.

Hey Bruce,

Scott's is the real deal if you like eastern carolina style sauce. Taste good just by it's self.

I cannot believe I missed the mark on the Treet ingredients. I've been using the stuff since the 70s (not the same bottle though). It has water, vinegar, wheat flour, salt, soybean oil, paprika, garlic, onion, xanthum gum and spices. No mustard.

I regularly cook with Sweet Baby Ray's, KC Masterpiece, and Sticky Fingers Memphis Original sauce, and was just looking for something new...maybe with a little more pop, more of a smokey flavor.

I brine my poultry and find no sauce is necessary. If there were a gun to my head, I would pick a fruity/tangy sauce to balance out the salty/smokey taste.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shawn244:
I like to mix sweet baby rays or KC Masterpiece with 1 cup of apricot or pineapple preserves. .... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too. I use Pineapple habanero pepper jelly with KC for a sweet sauce with some heat. Don't always want a sweet sauce though - I like Williams Bros sauce for brisket and pulled pork.

Loren

Back