Fatties again - try the Owens maple-flavored!

Keri C

TVWBB Wizard
Just finished grilling a sirloin over a chimney of lump in the bottom of the WSM for dinner, had heat left at 7 pm, so I pulled out a couple of 1-lb rolls of sausage that I had picked up to smoke for grand-mama dear. One was a Jimmy Dean Extra Bold or some such spicy flavor, and the other was Owens maple-flavored. After steak grilling was done, I put the center section back on and tossed the naked sausage on the bottom grate - lump had the cooker running at 375 for starters, so I plugged a probe into one of the sausage rolls, shut vents to about 1/4 open, and just let 'er run. Never did get under 325, and the fatties reach an internal temp of 165-170 in about an hour. (Too bad I don't have any other short-cooking meats thawed out - I still have plenty of heat.) Anyway, the spicy "bold" stuff was pretty good, but that maple-flavored is OUTSTANDING!
wsmsmile8gm.gif
I'm not just real sure that that one is going to make it to grandma's house. If you haven't tried it, try a roll of it next time you get a sausage urge. If you like just a bit of sweet on your sausage, you're gonna LOVE this stuff. I'm contemplating taking a roll of the bold spicy stuff and a roll of the maple flavored, smashing them out flat on top of each other, and making a pinwheel-type roll out of the two of them to blend the flavors. There's enough color difference due to the seasonings that I think you could get a decorative and most tasty effect.

Just had to share...

Keri C, still smokin' on Tulsa Time

Back