Fat up/Fat down #*%!

Mike M.

TVWBB Member
Doing my 1st brisket 1/2 flat 6 lbs. tonight.
I plan on doing 2 7lbs. pork butt on top rack. Since this is 1st brisket thought I would put it fat side down and let butts drip down on it.
Or should I go fat side up as I hear most people say? Everyone have a great weekend.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike M.:
Doing my 1st brisket 1/2 flat 6 lbs. tonight.
I plan on doing 2 7lbs. pork butt on top rack. Since this is 1st brisket thought I would put it fat side down and let butts drip down on it.
Or should I go fat side up as I hear most people say? Everyone have a great weekend. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Do the fat side down and let the butts drip onto the brisket.
icon_wink.gif

I don't think most people say fat side up anymore. I mostly hear "fat side down" these days. Since seasoned cookers recommend both methods, I'm concluding it doesn't matter.

Loren

You know, what might be interesting is to split a brisket to give 2 identical pieces of meat (as much as possible) and cook one side fat up and one side fat down. Temps and time should be the same. Then compare slices. I might do that sometime.

Loren

That does sound interesting. This was called 1/2 flat and its my 1st try. Might have to try spliting on my next one. Thanks for the info.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Loren:
I don't think most people say fat side up anymore. I mostly hear "fat side down" these days. Since seasoned cookers recommend both methods, I'm concluding it doesn't matter.

Loren </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well in this case you have the best of both worlds! The fat on the bottom will protect the brisket from the heat and the butts will baste the top! Should be a very good moist brisket!

Ain't necessary to flip flop them briskets or cut 'em in half, etc.

Just cook 'em fat side down like Jim Minion does. Keeps 'em from dryin' out. Especially when you got a big ol' butt drippin' down on it.

Think about it logically: Fat side up, what's happening? You're wasting time basting a fat cap while the heat from below is drying out the lean side. If you're going to baste, however you choose to do so, it ought to be on the side that benefits from it. Fat side down.

Back