Fantasy Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.
What features of the performer do you find you want the most?

I ask this because I just bought a 26" and I plan to build a table to attach to it. It should have most of the features of the Performer: Table area, charcoal storage, utensil hooks, wheels. It won't have a gas igniter, but I will make it slightly bigger than a Performer.

A lot of Performer owners here report using a chimney to light their charcoal anyway. I get the impression that the Performer's gas based charcoal igniter is unreliable. Maybe people just don't like the hassle of buying propane cylinders.

I'll add that my fantasy grill would be a 22 inch double walled & insulated {or maybe 1 inch ceramic walled} with cast iron vents and grates.

I am thinking like a Weber kamado or a Weber steel keg, capable of searing at 750* and/or going steady at 250* for 18 hours, with a 10 year warranty but it will last for 20.

Are you listening Weber?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Performer owners here report using a chimney to light their charcoal... gas based charcoal igniter is unreliable </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Darrel, that could not be a more incorrect understanding. We Performer owners use the chimney, because we can then pour the charcoal anywhere we want it in the bowl. The chimney is used over the gas igniter. Most of us have inverted the wire funnel to bring the charcoal down closer to the gas flame. As such, very little newspaper can be fit under the wire funnel, so we are certainly not using the chimney in its normal fashion.

Oh, and the gas cylinder will outlast a bag or two of charcoal. And you know what a hassle it is to go buy more charcoal, almost as rough as getting another propane cylinder! At the same store, no less.

Good luck with your 26" table project, we would all like to see pics when finished. I highly, highly reccommend going to the Weber Factory Store there in Palatine, and purchasing the gas ignition parts, and doing a complete upgrade to your 26". Make your own 26" Performer!

I have to agree with Dexter: my dream would be a 26" Performer. I would buy one in a heartbeat.

I would love a 26 inch performer and emailed Weber about it. Maybe if enough people email in they will consider making one. If they did though, I would hope they would make a rotisserie for it too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dexter Harris:
As much as I love my Performer, I wish Weber would build one based on the 26" kettle. I would buy it today!!!!!!!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen - if I replace my Performer, that would be the reason.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by doug ep:

We Performer owners use the chimney, because we can then pour the charcoal anywhere we want it in the bowl.
Good luck with your 26" table project, we would all like to see pics when finished. I highly, highly reccommend going to the Weber Factory Store there in Palatine, and purchasing the gas ignition parts, and doing a complete upgrade to your 26". Make your own 26" Performer!

I have to agree with Dexter: my dream would be a 26" Performer. I would buy one in a heartbeat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, I see. I thought that people who talked about using a chimney with their Performers were not using the gas lighter. But you seem to use them in tandem with the gas lighter. OK.

To my knowledge there is no factory store open to the public in Palatine (HQ) Schaumburg (Customer Service) or Huntley (factory). If you know any different, please let me know.

I would consider adding such parts to my 26 if they were available to me, especially now that I have a WSM for low&slow cooks. I can dedicate my 26 kettle to High Heat applications. My reading here has worried me into believing that extra air leaks from the LP gas line hole in the kettle 1) prevent air-starving lit coals in order to extinguish them 2) make low and slow harder to accomplish than in my WSM.

Once in a very great while they have had factory sales, but that is about 15 miles west of Palatine, in Huntley. That hasn't happened in recent years though.

A couple of years ago my brother-in-law got a job offer from Weber in Palatine. To my chagrin, he used that offer to force his current employer into giving him a raise. I was this close {image my fingers really close together} to getting access to employee discounts.

There certainly is a factory store open to the public in Palatine. It is just west of Hicks Rd at NW Hwy, on south side of railroad tracks.

If southbound on Hicks Rd, turn right (west) at the first stoplight south of the RR tracks, which is Sellstrom Drive. Go one block north on Sellstrom, then go left on Daniels. The Factory Store is the first building on the right, immediately on the north side of Daniels Rd. HQ is the next building farther west.

Address: 200 E Daniels Rd, Palatine IL phone 224-836-2742.

They eliminated the big factory sales 5-10 years ago, when they opened the factory store. Which is better, because now you can get Weber stuff at a good price everyday, instead of just one weekend per year. Have fun!

Also, the somewhat slower snuff time is trivial compared to the ease of use of the gas ignition. Don't let that be any type of drawback to considering a Performer.

Hi Darrel.
If you have a propane torch, you could light your chimney like this , without having to drill a hole.

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by doug ep:
There certainly is a factory store open to the public in Palatine. It is just west of Hicks Rd at NW Hwy, on south side of railroad tracks.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man I have lived in Palatine for 15 years, why is this the first time that I am hearing about this?

I know where that is, I just didn't know that there was a store there. I will definitely check it out.

Darrel, swing by and pick me up. I wanna go
icon_frown.gif

Never have been to Mississippi. Not sure when I'll be there to pick you up, but if/when I go to the factory store, I'll start a thread on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back