family competition

Scott Francis

We are going to have our 2nd annual family bbq competition this spring, and I'm already looking for ideas and experimenting. Any ideas out there? Anything goes... brisket, ribs, pork butt, etc. Last year, I did the BRITU and it was a success!

~Scott

I would do a Whole Hog. Build your own pit out of cinder blocks. And use huge hickory logs for your heat souce and flavor. That will get em.

Rick
The Smoke Hunters

Put a 10 lb brisket on the bottom rack with your favorite rub. Put two 7 lb "Renowned Mr. Brown" butts on the top. Add your favorite light smoke wood (pecan, peach, other fruity wood). Smoke at 240-250 for 15 or so hours...

Try a sirloin tip roast, done right eats similar to prime rib. I use a mop applied once an hour. Is a hit every time we do it.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Minion:
Try a sirloin tip roast, done right eats similar to prime rib. I use a mop applied once an hour. Is a hit every time we do it.
Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jim,
Are the details for that cook on the site anywhere?
If not, would you mind posting them?
What do you pay for a sirloin tip roast?

--
Charles

You might be a redneck if...
You’ve totaled every car you’ve ever owned.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Charles Howse:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Minion:
Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jim,
Are the details for that cook on the site anywhere?
If not, would you mind posting them?
What do you pay for a sirloin tip roast?

--
Charles

You might be a redneck if...
You’ve totaled every car you’ve ever owned. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here is one quote from Jim on this subject...
"We do tip all the time and I would not take it to 147?, I would go 125 to 130? max. Finish at higher pit temp to get some med well on the outside for those that want beef done to that degree.
We use a product called BourbonQ as a mop through out the cook.
Jim"
And another quote on the subject that may help from Jim.....
"If you cook to 145 you get a finish of 155 during the rest, way too high and reason for the non tender finish.
Cooking at 325 or higher is to get a spread of doneness (wd). Will have some med to med well on the outside and rare center but allowing the internal to go to 145 means the outside is over cooked. If you want med try cooking at 225 to250 and get an even finish throughout the roast, I would still pull at 130 so I would have a 140 finish.
Jim"

Hope this/Jim has helped. I didn't do a 'net search for the mop he uses.
icon_biggrin.gif

Jim,

Thanks, I'm going to experiment with the sirloin tip roast, sounds great!

Also, thanks everybody for the ideas, keep'em coming!

~Scott

Back