Fall Off The Bone Spare Ribs Internal Temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

K Lynch

TVWBB Member
Anyone have advice on how to get those ribs fallin off the bones? How about an approximate internal temp for the ribs? Also, is wrapping the ribs in foil a must for at least part of the cooking process to keep them tender and moist. Thanks in advance!

Hi KLynch and welcome!

Measuring temps in ribs is near impossible. If you can find thick enough meat, you will need to get them up around 190-200?.

BUTTTTT, that is a bad way of measuring doneness....much too inconsistent.

Instead, take a toothpick or other probe and slide it between the rib bones. It should go thru easily. Most folks need to cook their ribs longer to get a nice tender bone.

I am an avid user and firm believer that foil will turn out the best ribs. I smoke for 3 hours at 225?, then foil and cook agaon for about 2-3 hours then take out and sauce and back into the cooker for 30-45 minutes. That totals 6 hours for a 2 1/4lb. slab of baby back ribs. Spares take even longer.

Of course, there are many who do not foil and their ribs are still very good.

It just takes some practice and some experimenting.

Have fun and good luck!

I don't like my ribs falling off the bone tender. It makes me mad when I go to take a bite and the meat falls on my plate! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Seriously, most BBQ people think falling off the bone ribs are mushy and over cooked. I agree with them. I shoot for tug off the bone with slight resitance when eating. The bone should be clean when you are done. The only post I've ever read for an internal temp of ribs reccomended 205? between the ribs. I've never cooked mine this way, I go by time and the toothpick test. (slight resitance when poking a toothpick through the meat. Takes a few tries to get the feel of it.) For a rack of spares between 4 and 5 pounds I plan on cooking them for 6.5 to about 8 hours at around 225? to 240?. This gets them to how I like them.

If you still want fall off the bone ribs, then you will probably have to foil them for the last couple of hours to keep from drying them out. Might add a little apple juice when wrapping them. Your cooking time shouldn't be much longer than what I've posted above, but the moisture will sort of steam the ribs and get them to falling off the bone.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Doug W.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back