Failure - 3-2-1 with Baby Backs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Provost

TVWBB Fan
I tried the 3-2-1 method with Baby Backs and found them way too tender. When I opened the foil after two hours, half of the rib bones were exposed from the meat falling off. I know other have used this method with sucess, but maybe my target tenderness is less than most.

I had a lid temp of 250 for most of the cook, 3 hours on, 2 hours foiled, 1 hour on. The only thing I can think of that may cause a difference is the ribs were frozen and defrosted. Could that have made such a difference?

I'm not saying they were terrible. Actually, they were quite good. The wife even commented on how tender they were. But the meat was just falling off the bone. No pull left to them.

I was thinking of shortening the total cook time and the foil time. Maybe 2.5 on, .5 foil, 1.5 on.

How does that sound?

I do BB in 4 hours with no foil so 2 hours for color and smoke, 1hour in foil and then remove glaze and finish for how ever long is needed (1/2 to 1 hour)sounds like plenty of time for BB.
Jim

Rob,

I agree with Jim, 6 hours is way to long for baby backs. I can keep my lid temp pegged at 250 also and 2-1-1 is just about perfect for my baby backs. 3-2-1 would probably be fine for spares, but I'm with you, don't care for that "falling off the bone" stuff.

When you talk of the 4 hour total cook time, are you using the MM? If so, should the ribs go on immediately after placing the hot coals and smoke wood in the ring? (I haven't tried the MM yet and I don't want to screw it up!)

Thanks in advance.

John

John,

I use the Minion Method all the time now, I find it much easier to control the temp on the way up. I do adjust the amount of charcoal in the chamber depending on the "anticipated" length of the cook. Yes, I put the meat on as soon as the cooker is assembled and I start my timer right after I put the lid on.

Thanks Bruce,

Everything I have read about the Minion Method is very positive. I just need to get on board and start the Minion Madness!!

Is it safe to say that 2 chambers full of charcoal would be enough for smoking 3 racks of BB's?

Thanks

John,

You know what I don't even measure it anymore. I just fill the chamber right from the bag until I think it either looks full, 3/4 full/ 1/2 full, etc. I did 3 racks of spares on Saturday and I used abut 3/4 chamber full and that was plenty.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> When you talk of the 4 hour total cook time, are you using the MM? If so, should the ribs go on immediately after placing the hot coals and smoke wood in the ring? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't use the MM with ribs. I also agree that 6 hours is way too long for BB's. I do them in about 4 hours as well. I don't foil mine, I use a rib rack and spray them down with AJ or with my own mop sauce. So far I've gotten perfect ribs every time. I keep the temp right on 240. Using the standard method of lighting the WSM I find that I can do the full cook with one chimney (Weber) of charcoal. The dome temp when I put the ribs on is usually around 275 but it drops right down to the 240 range after putting the meat on. I also check the temp of the meat between a couple of the meater ribs with a probe and take them off at 195 or so. At that point the meat is firm enough to stay on the bone but pulls of very easily with only the slightest tug.

Thank you all for your replies. That was my first attempt with foil. I just wanted to give it a try. Next time I will go without foil and try for perfection!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back