Faded porcelain black hood on a Silver c??

JohnS NJ

TVWBB Fan
Picked up a freebie. Didn’t realize it until I got home that the hood looks offblack or faded. The consistency is uniform. Was this a standard color? I attached a picture to compare it to a solid black.

And yes, I’m accumulating grills in my backyard.

Attachments

• 1B934301-A1A3-4A09-9C85-6A3B86DE694B.jpeg
    1B934301-A1A3-4A09-9C85-6A3B86DE694B.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 46
Unfortunately the Black porcelain lids have a tendency to fade over the years, more so than any other lid colors.

Jeff

Yes it is fade as Jeff noted. Sadly nothing can be done about it as it is not truly the porcelain that fades but the dyes used to color the "glass". You can temporarily "mask" the appearance. Some use wax/polish, sometimes a little bit of neutral oil like a mineral oil (think baby oil) will return some shine or the appearance of "shine" but it will never be "brought back".

If you're talking about the hood in the foreground, lower right, I'd have to say that's too uniform to be fade.
Can you provide another picture that includes the entire front & top?

Yah, I am a little skeptical that is the usual black lid fade. I suggest cleaning it up with some cleaner and #0000 steel wool to get down to the real shine. It could be backed on dust, dirt and grime.

Back