EZ Hot Kraut

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rita Y:
Dean, do you rinse the kraut before eating it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I don't, Rita. It's always a tough call on the proportion of chile's to cabbage, especially when you mix a bunch of different kinds in like I do. Hard to predict from one batch to another. We did 24 quts this year and it really came out nice.

Betty told me that her son, who was raised on the stuff, savors the pickling brine and drinks it from a glass when the jar is emptied of kraut.

Tell me, did using the lid vacuum feature of your FoodSaver prevent the lids from doming up or leaking a little?

Didn't know about kimchee, but did can my green tomatoes after a similar method, with chiles and several garlic cloves per pint, except that I boiled up a half vinegar/half water brine. They are crisp and most excellent as a condiment.

Dean, I don't think I had a leaker in any of the bottles I FoodSavered (new verb). Maybe because the cabbage stays "fresh" and doesn't give off any gas?

I've always wanted to try making kimchee. Going to have to do that after the holidays.

While we're talking about cabbage, we had lunch at a little restaurant called Zoe's in Birhimingham AL today. One of their specialities is a very finely sliced cabbage tossed with a Greek-style vinaigrette and crumbled feta. It also had some 1/4-inch slices of scallion greens in the mix. Simple but very tasty.

Rita

Hmmm. I always have lids that dome. Doesn't hurt the product, and sometimes I scoop off a discolored top layer of kraut. Maybe will use the FoodSave next year to seal jars tighter.

I mentioned Betty's son (who is in his forties) drinking the pickling brine as a suggestion that hers wasn't too salty. I don't think mine is. Mary can eat the stuff, but it's a bit hot for her.

Here follows an url for the similarly pickled green tomatoes. I did use the FoodSaver lid apparatus on these jars and simply poured cold brine over them. They are most excellent. Just a hint of heat to them. Added a goodly pinch of dill to each jar as well. Incubate for a month, until the flavors permeate the tomatoes.

Pickled Green Tomatoes

Neglected to mention that I posted the green tomato url because DWolf said kimchee includes garlic in its recipe. As you can see from the photo, I used garlic too, several cloves per pint.

Seems that food recipes derive from something like a huge morel underground root system, one that extends around the world. Diverse delectable morsels pop up here and there, but they're all related through the roots.

Thanks for this recipe Dean. I just made 4 qts of it today. I did up 19 gals of crock kraut this year and really wanted to try this. I added a 1/2 of a jalapeno to each qt. Very easy to do and now i wait.
icon_biggrin.gif

Rita, I used to make kimchee. It does give an aroma to your home, and when I took it to the office one time, someone came in and asked what smelled like rotten eggs. I love the stuff, and it's really easy to make. I have a jar of Korean red pepper flakes here, which is what I used.

Oh gosh, another recipe to try. It's hard, during the holidays, to have to make old favorites when you're itching to try a bunch of new ones. Someone here put it right: some many recipes, so little time!

Rita

Back