Eye of Round

Yeah you got me. I had been saving SV posts (mostly yours) and I saved that thread and could no longer open it for some reason.

Same with the url you posted - I get a server error for some reason.

Can't remember, you ever when with a circulator then, just the temp controller, right?

Anyway - definitely going to do some ghetto style to check things out first. But I think I know what's going to happen
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> ever read any discussion of the title of Keller's book "Under Pressure"? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
icon_biggrin.gif
However... don't you think that certain cooks would benefit from being conducted in a sealed environment?
I'd agree that the "vacuum" probably has little to contribute other then keeping the bag tight to the protein.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">ever read any discussion of the title of Keller's book "Under Pressure"? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nope, but I used to dig the song.
<span class="flash-video"><object codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0"
classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"
style="height: 390px; width: 640px"
><param name="allowScriptAccess"
value="never"
></param><param name="wmode"
value="transparent"
></param><param value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xtrEN-YKLBM?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"
name="movie"
/><param value="true"
/><param value="always"
/><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"
wmode="transparent"
allowScriptAccess="never"
height="360"
width="640"
src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xtrEN-YKLBM?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"
/></object></span>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can't remember, you ever when with a circulator then, just the temp controller, right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got the food warmer first and used it with its rheostat control for a few months prior to getting the controller.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> don't you think that certain cooks would benefit from being conducted in a sealed environment? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

dunno. I do know that the vacuum created by your basic food saver isn't all that impressive and about equal to what I can get from submerging a ziploc and squeezing air out manually. I saw a video of Grant Achatz doing sv at home that way. I always assumed the bags role was to separate the protein from the large volume of water. There are some MG techniques that require a chamber vacuum sealer (ex. compressions) but those aren't sv techniques.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Nope, but I used to dig the song </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

worst attempt at hijacking a thread...ever.

but I'm game...

why the past tense?

this fellow run it for you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rog8ou-ZepE

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I do know that the vacuum created by your basic food saver isn't all that impressive </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Absolutely. Agreed. What I guess I'm saying by being "sealed" would be (metaphorically) the difference between the pot with or without the lid...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What I guess I'm saying by being "sealed" would be (metaphorically) the difference between the pot with or without the lid... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmmm, evaporative loss... never thought of that. Even though the bag is open at the top, its folded over the edge and held down by the lid. Any moisture that tries to escape, wouldn't have a chance.

Besides, the biggest loss of moisture came during slicing. It had more than enough moisture in it to make to the table.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">*even with sealed bags, gases build up causing them to float. its one of the reasons why I use open top bags, as they help to vent off steam. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If it's venting off steam, it's evaporating. To what difference; I don't know. Just saying.
icon_wink.gif

Going to try to do a side by side in the next couple of weeks. Same weight of protein, same seasoning:
one bag sealed the other opened.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If it's venting off steam, it's evaporating. To what difference; I don't know. Just saying. Wink
Going to try to do a side by side in the next couple of weeks. Same weight of protein, same seasoning:
one bag sealed the other opened. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suppose its no different that opening the lid on pot or the lid on the wsm.

I'd be curious to see your results. Getting good data in the kitchen is tough. Its hard to control most of your variables, and your sample size is often very small. I wish you luck, try not to be too biased that you influence your results
icon_biggrin.gif

make sure you weigh the juice in the bags. I doubt the different meats will end up different, but there may be differences in the amount of accumulated juice.

Thinking more about final texture and overall infusion of flavor from a non diverse application of herb/spice. Any thoughts as to what protein to use?
Test seems to dictates something neutral & delicate like fish but (so far) I have no experience with that in this application.
btw/ I'm I correct that your still not doing any kind of additional circulation other then the the natural convection? Thinking of going back to an air-stone just to insure a even bath. The unit I'm using still seems to be a bit uneven when I grid and temp it. Enough to really matter, don't know.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Thinking more about final texture and overall infusion of flavor from a non diverse application of herb/spice. Any thoughts as to what protein to use? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

those are going to be qualitative measurements. Measuring liquid volume is less subjective. I'd say, try both methods, make some observations, and let me know if you see any differences. You may watch the process and see nothing that would lead to a difference.

I'm not sure its a relevant experiment if you don't use a large roast. I used ziplocs for the because of their size and the ability to thread the probe in. Anything smaller would do better in a vac bag, so I can let it swim around and get better heat on all sides. Then again, if we're bagging liquids with the protein and don't want to bother with vac bagging, then maybe the ziplocs make sense.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm I correct that your still not doing any kind of additional circulation other then the the natural convection? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm I correct that your still not doing any kind of additional circulation other then the the natural convection? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sometimes I use an aquarium air pump but it makes bubbles that stick to the bags making them float.

you're running it at such a low temperature you might be able to use an aquarium powerhead for circulation, if you need it. Most of them have suction cups to mount to the wall & then just plug into a wall outlet. Prolly get by with the cheapest, lowest flow head out there (don't buy the Tunze lol)

http://www.marinedepot.com/Pow...PH,FIWP,FIWM-ct.html

Another awesome SV post Jeff. I really don't do enough of this stuff to justify the purchase, but I really enjoy your experiments.

And if you still have any horseradish left, I have to tell you about a ridiculous dip I made over the holidays. I basically followed Doug's Smoked Mushroom ratios as far as cream cheese and sour cream, but added minced green onion, homemade bacon and homemade horseradish instead of smoked mushrooms.

Clint, I thought about that too, but I sometimes run it upwards of 175*. I'm just not sure how needed circulation is. They claim the bottom heated, food warmer should create its own convection currents.

Thanks Jon. I'm always looking for ways to use horseradish.

Back