Extra time for cooks at altitude

Kevin.D

TVWBB Member
I live in Denver. Most on this board say they can get butts done in 14-16 hours mine take 20-24. I did 3 racks of loin back ribs yesterday for 7 hours at 230-235, they seemed to need more time. They were good but a little tough. Still a little tough on the tear test. Did not foil, first time not foiling. Have had the WSM for about a year and a half. I was wondering if anyone else at altitude seems to have the same time problems.

Thanks Kevin

Kevin,
Can't help with the altitude question, but keep in mind that the meat will be done when the meat is done. I've had butts cook for 23 hours. Some for under 16-18 hours too. It depends on the meat.
Foiling will speed up the tenderizing of the meat too. Was that the difference on your ribs?

Do you use water in the pan?

Sea Level 212 degrees F
2,000 ft. 208 degrees F
5,000 ft. 203 degrees F

At 5000 ft. water evaporates at 203 which could keep your temperatures down. Also, double check your thermometers for accuracy.

Kevin, I am in Denver and my biggest issue is getting the temps up when not directly in the sun. As far as time, I do Costco loin backs in around 5-6 hours usually. Maybe longer. I will foil during the 4th hour for 45 minutes and then cook the rest of the way at a hotter temp after the lid has been open for a while. The longer side since I have converted to minion cooks since the temp starts a little lower.

For butts, I minion and average about 18 hours. I find the cooker holds steady until I refuel around 8 or 9 am then it holds again. I used to check at night and the temp was locked at 240 or 250 at the lid where I wanted it, so I doubt it is the cooler nights. As you know even in the Summer we will be in the 60s, so maybe it is cooler in the morning because of this?

I have seen grilling info about cooking longer but not on BBQ. I generally just plan for dinner between 4-7.

Thanks for all the help gentleman. I will just keep them on until they are done. We reheated the ribs in a 250* oven last night for 1 1/2 hours and they were then perfectly done.

High temps are a problem up here I have given up on anything that needs to cook at 325 or above I just do them on the kettle.

Thanks again
Kevin

Just an fyi I lived in Greenwood Village for 6 years and found that all of my roasts cooked stovetop or in the oven took much longer than when cooked at sea level.

Back