Extended cooking times

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello,
I am a newcomer. I know a couple of people who compete in barbecue contests, and they both say they can get their W.S.M. to cook without adding charcoal for 10 or 11 hours. How do you go about accomplishing that.

Thanks,

Johnny /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I think this link (to the Tips and Mods section of the site) says it all.

"Minion Method" of firing the WSM

I just used "the Method" for the very first time a couple of weekends ago. I got a 15 hour burn, with some coal to spare... I may never go back...

Be sure to check the other links at the top of the page -- they all lead to incredible resources.

--Rob

[edit: turning a few fragments into sentences... :-) ]

I use the Minion Method for all of my smokes. IMHO, there is no better way to smoke, especially for the long smokes. I've had my WSM for about 1 1/2 years and as a matter of practice, I always use the MM.

Good Luck!

-mc

I don't have a WSM yet. Will be ordering one on monday or tuesday. But I do smoke right now on my kettle. I got a 12 hour burn on my 22 1\2 kettle grill using the minion method without having to add any coals. So it does work great.

Put 60 pounds of butts on two WSM's at 10:15pm last night. It is now 11:45am and two of the big guys have not given up and the WSM is running at 250 dome temp. The butts are 187 in the thick part and I am going for 195. Have already pulled six of them and these are the remaining two. I load the ring up till it is mounded and hit it in the middle with a weed burner. Once I see I have ingnition in the middle with a bunch of briquets I quit and put my smoking wood on. When I do ribs or chicken I blast the entire area and get it going a little quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back