Expectation for (2) 6.5# butts w/no bone, nor a thick fat cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean M.

TVWBB Fan
The two 6.5# butts I bought have no bone (they slid out), and the butcher carved the fat cap off to basically nothing.

Should I expect my hour per pound ratio to bealtered from the norm of 1.5 hours/pound?

WIll the lack of fat cap and bone effect my overall cook?

Thanks,
~ Sean

Without a bone they probably will cook in little, but not a lot faster. It wasn't clear to me if the weight you listed was before or after they were debone and trimmed. If it was after, you still have pretty good size butts. I normally remove the fat cap when triming so I don't think that will affect your cook. There should be enough internal fat to provide plenty of moisture. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to do a baste or mop, but I've never really done that.

I bet they turn out fine.

Paul

Hi Sean, I would plan on 16-20 hours with a four hour buffer prior to planned serving time. That's been my experience bone in or bone out for two butts that size.

I finished two last night 7.5# bone in, ran for 26 hours to hit 195, no foiling. Woof. Lost temp briefly, (maybe cost 2 hours at most) cuz I had to readd fuel. Man were they good. Heavy duty barkage! I've only done several butt cooks though my man.
Oops, forgot about the cap. I have trimmed all my butts of all fat I could easily get at, top, even the inside.

Thanks guys.

The 6.5 was package weight. I would guesstimate that the bone was +/- 5 oz (??). So, I am dealing with basically (2) 6 pounders. I trimmed zero fat.

Shawn - your 26 hours have me nervous.

I am going to do the MM and put them on at 10:00 pm PST, and my guests are coming over at 5:00 pm. That gives me 21+ hours. I hope they reach temperature before so I can wrap/cooler them for a couple hours before.

Stay tuned -
~ Sean

Pork butt was the reason I bought the WSM in the first place and I have done.. uhhh.. 1,2.3.4.5.. (uhoh, I have to switch hands...) OK, I've done a few. I'm not a pro like some, but I've got some skin in the game.

26 hours? That makes no sense. 8lb bone in will take 14-18 hrs without foiling when held at the 225-250 degree range.

Be calm and continue to monitor the temps. If the meat temp is on track, leave it where it is. If the meat temp isn't looking like it will meet your deadline, consider foiling it for the last hour or two in the oven if you have to.

Your guests will be thrilled.

Sean,

Two 6#'ers without bone, you're probably looking at 11-13 hours. You put'em on at 10 tonight my guess the're coming off at 9 or 9:30am. Good luck.

I dunno Bruce, my guess would be around the 16-18 hour mark at 235-245. I am just going off my last 2 butts and I hit the 160 plateau and then a 180 plateau. Of course, I could be wrong but I'll bet I'm pretty close. Let us know how it turns out Sean!!

BTW...pics are always nice(I like to watch)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sean M.:
Shawn - your 26 hours have me nervous.
~ Sean <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Maybe the temp dip cost me more than a couple of hours...maybe setting the low bound on ET-73 to 200F was the problem ... I dunnno why these two took so long they did seem plateau at 180F forever...Regardless of size and between sizes 4.5 lb boneless and 8 lb bone in, I have yet to finished two or more together in under 18 hours without foiling using Renowned Mr Brown and Southern Sop from this site. Hopefully you will have better luck than I. Have fun! It'll be great, do let us know how you make out!

btw - I am using Wild Willy's Onederful Rub from the Smoke and Spice book.

I will post pics - so, check back.

ps - I am having trouble setting my new ET-73. It won't let me set my high-low temps properly. Hope to get this cleared up soon.

Stay tuned -
~ Sean

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sean M.:
I am having trouble setting my new ET-73. It won't let me set my high-low temps properly. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It seemed to me yesterday when playing with the thing that it would not let me set the high temp lower than the low temp...other than that I'm not sure what it could be ...

Shawn - Sounds lame, but, that was my problem too. However, after spending time following the directions, specifically "Registering Receiver & Transmitter" mine worked. (I did not do this initially).

I am now inside, past 3 doors and receiving my grate temperature.

Look forward to settling in to a good temp then hitting the rack.

~ Sean

Sean, if your are not happy with the performance of the ET-73, make a call to Maverick. They are all to aware of the problem which you and I and many others have had.

CLICK here for the contact info. They were very helpful in sending out a new RX for my unit. Called this Monday and hoping the new RX shows today!

I am not sure if I should be too critical. My bullet loses signal when the receiver is behind 2 exterior/fire doors and 2+ walls. What do you think?

~ Sean

Sean, hard to say I guess...the lady told me that unless the TX was enclosed in a metal smoke house that it should get very close to the specified TX distance of 100'.

Give them a call on Monday and tell them the situation and then make a decision from there. As I've found out, it's no fun to have an alarm that doesn't work by your bed and it's no fun to leave the RX on the kitchen table to get a signal and hope you'll hear the alarm at night!

It's really difficult to accurately predict when a butt will reach your desired temp.

I've only done a handful, but my boneless four pounders generally took in excess of 10 hours with no other meat in the cooker. Then, recently, I had a 5 pounder (bone-in) finish in just 7.5 hours with a brisket underneath it...and it was as good as ever.

I really do think every one is different. If you go in expecting a particular cook time, things get confusing and more stressful (i.e. you worry when it takes too long, and you worry if it's done too soon).

I am learning to relax and not to overthink this; if you hold a steady temp, the butt will cooperate one way or another.

P.j.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back