EX6 is put together, lets start testing.

Awesome man. I'm glad you took the plunge. I have an older BBQ Stoker with like four probes I was thinking about firing up just to test out the temperatures, while using the Smoke to test the upper shelf. We may have to compare notes.
Thanks for all the input, you convinced me to go for it and I’m really glad I did.
So far everything negative seems like it can be worked out down the road.

I will say I can‘t imagine doing pork shoulders or brisket with out very large aluminum trays, the mess would be bad.

I dunno. It can be a bit messy, but on my Yoder YS1500 I had, it wasn't awful. It's the closest thing I've owned for comparison from a grease management standpoint.

IMG_0108-me.JPG

IMG_0105-me.JPG

20140131_074425-me.jpg

The grease would drip all over that big heavy heat shield and into the chamber body. Scraping it out when cool really wasn't terrible since it mixed with the ash. A plastic putty knife made pretty quick work of it, but it was a dirty job due to having to move a huge grate and two piece drip pan. I'll let you know, but I normally like to cook my butts in pans to retain the juices to reincorporate after pulling.

Thanks for all the input, you convinced me to go for it and I’m really glad I did.
So far everything negative seems like it can be worked out down the road.

I will say I can‘t imagine doing pork shoulders or brisket with out very large aluminum trays, the mess would be bad.
Guess I saw that one coming. Now I must decide on if I want to work around the grease issues or return it? Good news I have a **** ton of pellets and I will do something fun this weekend. I’m thinking of doing a brisket for fun/challenge.

Back