EX4 vs EX6

I am trying to make the same decision now between the EX4 and EX6. I have a Summit S-670 and would use the SF primarily as a smoker and do most of my grilling on the Summit. I just sold my 26" kettle that I used to smoke with. Being busy with work and a newborn I just don't have time smoke like I used to. I'm leaning towards the EX4 because its just me and the wife and daughter so its not like I will be doing a lot of meat at one time. I have a couple questions and if you could provide some insight into your thoughts after purchase that would be helpful.

Question 1:
For those that purchased an EX4, do you find yourself wishing you just bought the EX6 for more space? I use every square inch of the Summit 670 when I make dinner, but the EX4 would be a dedicated smoker and most of my grilling would on the Summit.

Question 2:
For those that intended on using the SF primarily as a smoker, did you find yourself using it more as a grill? The reason I am asking is that I wonder how much I would actually use this as a grill given you can't control the heat with zones. I do a lot of cooking on my Summit with varying temps and I am looking to see if it could be a total replacement. Right now, the clean up looks to be a little clumsy with the ash and grease not contained separately.

Thank you for any thoughts you have!

I think I mentioned above, but I went with the EX6. I’m in a similar situation as you. It’s my wife, our daughter and myself. From my limited experience so far, this is a completed replacement for your gasser. It can do low and slow smoking as well as hot and fast with searing. It can all depend on what you’re looking for too. I only have a Weber Q series gasser other than the EX6. So if we want to just throw some quick burgers/dogs on the grill I’d just fire up the Q. But for anything else I’m using the SmokeFire. Now down to size. I went bigger because what’s $200 in the long run to be able to cook a lot of food for family get togethers?

As far as the ash/grease management, my first cook went pretty well as far as that goes. Still going to scrape and vacuum before the next one though.

Attachments

• A736D918-AF9F-43C4-99E4-4377F0489DDE.jpeg
    A736D918-AF9F-43C4-99E4-4377F0489DDE.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 80789167-2E74-424D-AFB6-68D5E623D299.jpeg
    80789167-2E74-424D-AFB6-68D5E623D299.jpeg
    221.3 KB · Views: 10
I have the ex6 and am coming from a spirit 310. I went with the 6 because it was a small investment for a lot more grilling and smoking space. I stopped using my spirit because the food busts seems to taste better off the Smokefire. It also heats up faster. No regrets here with going for the 6. However, as a grill it is more expensive to run than gas. You also can’t use it as a 2-zone cooker. Lastly, if you have limited space than maybe go with the ex4.

Honestly if I had that much $$$$ burning a hole in my pocket I would go 6 especially the room is there.

For our needs the 24 Camp Chef is more than adequate. Four racks of ribs, a whole pork belly of bacon. My choice would be the EX4, couldn't see needing all the space of an EX6. Sort of like buying a one ton pick up to go grocery shopping.

I have an EX6 and there are only two of us. But there are kids in the area and at times I need space. Then I walk by the Ex4s in Lowe's and wonder "What the XXXX are you going to do on the little thing?" At the price differential, GO BIG.

The main grate on the 24 is 18x24. Exact same size as a Spirit gasser with two grates (I believe you can swap Spirit grates into the SF). The 36 would be like adding a third Spirit grate.

So the 24 would do two briskets or three slabs placed north/south. Or one brisket and two slabs placed east/west. Plus another brisket or slab on the top rack?

The 36 would do three briskets north/south or two east/west on the main grate. Four slabs (either way) on the main grate. Plus another brisket or two more slabs on the top shelf.

As primarily a smoker, 24 seems like plenty of capacity. For grilling (like to replace your gasser) 36 might be the ticket. Since you're not going to be grilling on the top rack.

Think about whether a Spirit or an old Genesis (my Silver B is also 18x24) is enough grilling space for you.

Last edited:
If you have the space and money, the EX6 is a great choice. If not, I am sure the EX4 will be great. I sold my gasser and one of my kettles.

Thanks to everyone that gave their input. I ended up getting the EX6 and just finished putting it together. I was really worried about the condition of the grill when I saw the box when I picked it up from Lowe's. It didn't get much better when I actually opened the box when I got home. All of the boxes that weren't taped were clearly opened. All of the packaging was ripped and torn. There were finger prints everywhere on this thing. I knew it was never used, but someone clearly went through the contents looking for something. I thought it was a return because I couldn't find the hardware kit in box B. It ended up in another box.

Side note: I called Weber last week to order the chute and pellet slide. I explained that I wanted them when I assembled the grill. At first the rep was hesitant because she said she couldn't send parts for a grill I haven't bought yet. She ended up agreeing to send the parts.

Back to the story. I went to install the pellet chute and the upgraded pellet chute was already there. The new augur assembly was not. What I think happened is that Weber is going back to their stock and installing the pellet insert hoping that solves the problem. My grill had a production date of 3/2020. Just in case someone gets a box that looks like its been rummaged through.

Last edited:

Back