EX4 or EX6?

DrewM

TVWBB Member
Hello, new poster here.

I've been reading pretty extensively over the last several days as I'm pretty set on making the foray into pellet grills/smokers. I was at first looking at Camp Chef, Rec Tec and Grills but have come back around to Weber (always been a fan and currently have a Q series gasser) as I've seen the updates and mods they've sent out have made a huge difference in the overall quality.

I'm debating between the EX4 and EX6. It's just my wife, myself and our daughter so I don't need a ton of room and don't cook for larger gatherings often save for the holidays, family events and Father's Day most recently. I believe the EX4 uses less pellets if I've read correctly? I believe I've also read somewhere that the EX4 tends to blow less ash around the chamber and is a little easier on the cleanup side of things?

Any thoughts or recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thank you and looking forward to getting to communicating with you all as I jump into this.

My apologies, with all my reading I still somehow missed the thread already on this, if the mods would like to delete this, please feel free and I can post my questions in the other thread.

Drew, some of the Smokefires we recent bought do not have the updates. I got mine from Lowes and it's build date (P code) is 1/19/2020. So what I received is part of the first build. I prepared myself for that possibility so I'm OK with going through what the early buyers went through. There's lots of good info on this forum and now I know what to look for. EX4 or EX6? I only need the space of the EX6 for special occasions and the EX4 would probably be fine with careful food placement.

Drew, some of the Smokefires we recent bought do not have the updates. I got mine from Lowes and it's build date (P code) is 1/19/2020. So what I received is part of the first build. I prepared myself for that possibility so I'm OK with going through what the early buyers went through. There's lots of good info on this forum and now I know what to look for. EX4 or EX6? I only need the space of the EX6 for special occasions and the EX4 would probably be fine with careful food placement.
Lew, I pre-ordered the second I could, I have ZERO new parts on my grill, make sure you update the firmware and you should be off to a great start.
the firmware and app have been the big changes that put her over the top.
once people get over the fact you might need a drip pan, it’s a hell of a smoker/grill.

Thank you, Lew. I did call up Weber earlier and inquired on if all sets going out now would have the newest parts that had been sent out to early owners to fix things. The person I spoke to assured me that would be the case. I also asked about Lowe’s since it says their EX6’s won’t arrive until 7/13, she said if they are not being shipped out and delivered until then that they should have the new parts as well but that anything currently in stock at the stores may not have the newer parts. Lastly, she said that if I did go through Lowe’s and what I received didn’t have them, to call up Weber and they’d immediately ship them to me.

As for the EX4 vs EX6 debate. I went to the store to check out what they had the other day and decided the EX4, while nice, was roughly 200 sq inches more than what I’m working with now. I think I’ve decided that if I’m going to do it I may as well go all out. I’m going to do a 24 month 0% finance on my card, so what’s $9 per month more I figure?

Lew, I pre-ordered the second I could, I have ZERO new parts on my grill, make sure you update the firmware and you should be off to a great start.
the firmware and app have been the big changes that put her over the top.
once people get over the fact you might need a drip pan, it’s a hell of a smoker/grill.

Bruno, I believe you were an early adopter? How have things been for you overall since the updates and new parts? Any issues?

Like I said I didn’t like the hopper ramp, I like having 22 pounds available, they did that so when you get low you can add a full bag. I have the black welded auger sitting in a shelf in my garage.
it’s the firmware and app that have gotten better. I’m putting on 3 pork shoulder tonight, my wife is nervous because we are sending a lot to family and friends,I’m not worried, the S.F. will do it’s thing.

Thank you, Lew. I did call up Weber earlier and inquired on if all sets going out now would have the newest parts that had been sent out to early owners to fix things. The person I spoke to assured me that would be the case. I also asked about Lowe’s since it says their EX6’s won’t arrive until 7/13, she said if they are not being shipped out and delivered until then that they should have the new parts as well but that anything currently in stock at the stores may not have the newer parts. Lastly, she said that if I did go through Lowe’s and what I received didn’t have them, to call up Weber and they’d immediately ship them to me.

As for the EX4 vs EX6 debate. I went to the store to check out what they had the other day and decided the EX4, while nice, was roughly 200 sq inches more than what I’m working with now. I think I’ve decided that if I’m going to do it I may as well go all out. I’m going to do a 24 month 0% finance on my card, so what’s $9 per month more I figure?
Get the EX6!!!!!!!!

Like I said I didn’t like the hopper ramp, I like having 22 pounds available, they did that so when you get low you can add a full bag. I have the black welded auger sitting in a shelf in my garage.
it’s the firmware and app that have gotten better. I’m putting on 3 pork shoulder tonight, my wife is nervous because we are sending a lot to family and friends,I’m not worried, the S.F. will do it’s thing.

Nice, glad to hear it’s working well! Post your results if you don’t mind.

Get the EX6!!!!!!!!
Bruno, I think that's what Drew meant with " I think I’ve decided that if I’m going to do it I may as well go all out. I’m going to do a 24 month 0% finance on my card, so what’s $9 per month more I figure? "

I don't "need" the EX6 but this may be the last grill I buy so why not go big. The wait is agonizing but nothing compared to what the folks that pre-ordered endured.

I am cooking for my wife (who is vegetarian), my 3 year old, 9 month old, and myself. I used the Smokefire to replace my spirit 310 gas grill. Obviously, I went for the ex6. Zero regrets!!! Go big and you won’t regret it!!

Back