Everything is beautiful

Charles Howse

TVWBB Wizard
Got my "Smoke Day" T-shirt on, got the chikin thighs goin' on the grill, got the 8# butt ready to smoke overnight; the new PowerMac's on the way, Coors Light's on sale...what more could a man want?

The weather is perfect!
The thighs were perfect! Skin was crispy, meat was done just right. My only "*mistake*" was using 'Bulleseye' sauce just before taking them off.
Blues Hog Tennessee Red is made for chikin!!
Didn't need no sides!
Too bad Mom isn't here, she'd have liked it.

Won't be long before it's time to put the butt on!

That sounds great Charles. You're making me hungry. I'd be cooking something myself if I didn't have to work this weekend.

Sounds wonderful, Charles. Like Jeff, it's vicarious Q for me at the moment, though I might get home early enough tomorrow to do a short cook. (I stopped at a Q joint yesterday in SW Texas; very so-so meats, horrible sauce.)
icon_frown.gif

Hey Charles,

Sounds like your smoke is going great. How do you like the Mac?

I am on vacation so canot smoke until I get home, but the place I am staying at has some older cheapo Charbroil gas grills so this week I grilled 4 chickens and 3 flank steaks for daughters and their families (grand kids requested I cook for them). I brought some wood chunks from home and was able to get smoke flavors so it was fine.

My smoke day tee should be at my place when I get home.

Hope your weather stays good.

Ray

196* and falling apart!
My WSM is dear to my heart.

No trim, no flip, no flop.
No peek, no baste, no mop.

Holding in the cooker in foil.
This cook was really no toil.

Pounds of Q, cooked ahead,
On the table...Tennessee Red!

Cheap buns and slaw are near,
Goes real good with an ice cold beer!

Wish ya'll could have some,
it's gonna be fine.
On second thought, forget it!
IT'S ALL MINE!!!
icon_wink.gif

There...now that I am poetically justified I can reply properly.

Ray - the PowerMac has shipped, but not arrived as of today (Sunday). Follow it's progress yourself - Fed Ex Ground - 110911172893337
I wish I had had the patience to wait until Tiger was released, but the stress was too much for the boy. ;-)
I'll post something once I've had a chance to test drive it.
Note to self - Ray carries smoke wood with him wherever he goes...?

Kev - You ever think about writing a book about traveling cross-country in a big rig and all the Q places you've dined at?
I don't like to sleep away from home, but I envy you getting to see this great country like that.

Cool poem, Charles.

I am so used to sleeping away from home. Too used to it. I've been doing this too long, it has long ago lost whatever allure it had. But the money is still very good. (Fuel prices have dramtically cut profit though and freight rates have not risen.) I'll hit 2.5 million driving miles sometime next month.

Is your new gig still working out okay?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is your new gig still working out okay? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
In order for me to answer that truthfully, you have to have a mental picture of me.
I am 55, weigh 195#, am out of shape (big time).
I have been working as a Computer Network Administrator, and Hotel Desk Clerk since 1997.
Before that, I did manual labor at the Milan Arsenal on the grounds and railroad maintenance crews (building fences, driving spikes).
I was "rode hard and put up wet" when I applied to Butler as a forklift driver.
I have a bad back, and a bad shoulder, meaning that they are very subject to inflamation when over-used, which causes me considerable swelling and pain. (Yes, I have medication).
In my employer's infinite wisdom, they decided they didn't need anyone with 11 yrs experience driving forklifts, so they put me in a job where I have to handle heavy parts, walk around all day on the concrete floor, build wooden crates, work outside in all kinds of weather, etc.
I work in the shipping department...it's very stressful on my body. Right now my hands are swollen from too much heavy lifting, and too much hammer and nails, and too much banding.
I've just this week gotten to the point where my feet weren't killing me every minute of every day from the lousy safety shoes they gave us. Not sure I want to gamble $125 and buy my own right now.

So anyway, No the new gig isn't suiting me. However...I have asked the HR person to move me from shipping to production. We had a conversation about my physical concerns, and agreed that production might be better for me. She has promised to move me, same shift, same pay, as soon as she can get a replacement for me. So I am waiting on that, will touch base with her Monday.

Oh and BTW, I'm currently working 58 hours/week. It's killing me, but the money's good. The OT is mandatory, and they expect we will continue as is for another month or two. Sigh...
I don't believe that for a minute, kiss this summer good-bye!

Charles,

What a bummer - sure hope you can get reassigned soon.

How do you have time to smoke with all those working hours?

I am back home and have my new smoke day tee shirt. It was the first thing I opened when I walked into the house (before unpacking the car). Great tee.

I'm hoping to smoke / grill this week but my place is a mess now. We are adding a new sunroom and decided to replace our existing deck so it will match the deck on the new room, so my deck is being torn up this week and my entire back yard is muddy and messed up with tractor marks all over the place. Maybe I can find a dry spot to smoke...... but in the end it will be worth it.

Take care Charles,

Ray

Charles, I love your attitude. We all have our challenges. I am sure you will work thru those issues at work. Take care.
Steve

Well, I did indeed bring the HR lady a *big ol'* bbq sandwich. I asked her if it had enough smoke flavor (just something to get the conversation started). She used her fingernail to pick up a tiny, tiny shred of meat to taste. Says she has 4 or 5 different things wrong with her digestive system.
Complimented the meat, says I should be moved in less than a month.
The Shipping Mgr. was cussin' because we didn't want to go outside in the pouring rain without rain gear yesterday. Imagine that!

Back