Ever had one of these moments while grilling?

I am fortunate to have an in ground fire pit ring like 20 feet from my cooking area. I can dump any ash even hot! Also carefully I can dump the water pan into it too! It makes a neat mushroom cloud!

Just had one smoking. Went to pull my butt off the grate and the freakin thing moves off one of the tabs and of course my bottom grate was not in place cuzz I figure " why bother, one less thing to clean?" . The butt fell into my foiled pan, thankfully I never use water. Got my gloves covered in fat but I saved the butt. Looks like I need to add a few washers to the tabs bolts.

just last night, on my second cook ever on the performer, I lit my coals in a basket, got them all white, dumped them out, spread them over the bottom grate, and started adjusting my vents.

It was running up around 500 and I wanted it to settle in around 450 so I closed the bottom a bit, without much temp difference, so in my infinite wisdom, I closed the top about 3/4/ the temp fell, an I thought I had it dialed.

I put all the food on, replaced the cover, and waited for it to come back up to temp.

never happened. At least half of the charcoal went out from me apparently closing the vents on the bottom more than I thought and closing the top as much as I did.

Only one little portion stayed lit.

I had the entire family here for dinner, and I had to finish it in the oven, I simply couldnt get that grill going again (with all the food on it).

Lessone learned, adjust the vents and watch like hawk with the lid closed till you are happy with the temp....then put the food on
icon_smile.gif

And mark your slide somehow so I can tell where the vents really are.

Had one last weekend. Got up a little early to put a butt on the WSM, wife and I left the house around 9am to go to a fall festival. We were gone about four hours and I come back and the temp is 160. I made what I thought was a small adjustment on one of the vents before we left, turns out it was a bigger adjustment than I thought.

Immediately took the door off the WSM and it eventually came back up to over 300. Foiled up the butt at 160 until it was done. Turned out to taste pretty good.

My first smoke was a Thanksgiving turkey. Borrowed a smoker from a friend, turned out it was a "Brinkman" model. The temperature was all over the place, generally at the lower end, and by 7 PM that night the turkey breast still wasn't done, so I had to pay for everyone to have Thanksgiving dinner at a local restaurant.

Did the same thing two years later to vastly different results with a then-new WSM.

Back