ET-73 Settings for Overnight Pork Butt cook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Johns

I recieved my ET-73 last week and put it to use cooking a 5lb pork butt last night. The thermometer worked perfectly but I had a few questions on how to use it. What is the preferred way to route the temp probes out of the WSM (I had them routing out the sides of the access door)? What temp range would you set for the smoker (I used 200 to 240)? For the pork butt (I set to 195)?

Thanks for your help!

I used to route the ET-73 probe wires under the WSM dome. That works fine as long as you take care not to kink the wires.
Now I use the eyelets from the BBQ Guru which you can see here.
The eyelets work great. Well worth the money as far as I'm concerned.
I set the smoker temp range on the ET-73 to 220 low & 255 high since I like to cook in the 225-250 range. 5 degrees high or low should be OK & I like to sleep as long as possible.

Steve, I route mine under the lid...haven't had any problems...cheaper than the $$ for the eyelets(although they are not so expensive). Click here to see mine in action with wires under the lid...just to answer the second question...its a windscreen!

I set mine between 198 and 251 if it's windy out (cuz then the temps get whippy and I don't want to get up all night long), or else 198 and 231 to go really low and slow. I do either 195 or 205 for the butt temp.

Thanks to all for your advice! Jeff, the eyelets look like a great way to handle the temperature probes, and for $8 they're worth a try. One more question- are the smoker temperatures you are aiming for taken at the top of the dome or at the grate (which seems to run about 10-20 degrees cooler)?

I use the clip that comes with the ET-73 to keep track of the temperature at the top grate. I make sure not to have the probe too near the outer part of the grate which is hotter than near the center where the meat is.

I run mine under the dome as well, just remember to put the lid down gently and you'll be fine. Thinking about the eyelets....and top grate for me as well.

Rath *agrees with everyone else*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back