ET-72 vs ET-73

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken McCrary

TVWBB Super Fan
Happy Birthday to me. My wife just presented me with a Maverick ET-72 that she got at Barbecues Galore. I'v read much about the ET-73 on this board but not much about the 72. Is there a big difference between the two?

The ET-72 is a single-probe remote model designed to measure meat temperature only-- along with some timer functions. The ET-73 is a two-probe model-- one for the meat, and one with a high-low alarm for monitoring the smoker temp.

thanks for the quick response Doug. I can see where the remote cooker temp would be an advantage on the overnighters where you want to be able to sleep with one eye open to make sure the WSM is not doing it's rendition of "The China Syndrome". I might have to look into a discreet gift exchange.

Ken, you might want to hold off on that exchange. It seems a number of us aren't getting the proper TX or RX distnce they claim with the ET-73. While I'm not telling you what to do or that every unit they sell might have this problem, if you do a recent search on this topic you might find more people with problems than not! Just my two cents!

Two things to bear in mind are that there was a temporary problem with a recent manufacturing run of the ET-73s, and that those users who have had any trouble-- either recently, or in the past-- have all gotten no-questions-asked replacements and reportedly outstanding customer service from Maverick.

I agree with Doug as I had no trouble getting a replacement, but it does seem to be more of a problem that people are having than not having. Get it and if it doesn't work call Maverick...they will help you out!

I've about decided to keep the ET-72. As I mention in another section I have a pretty decent set up for monitoring the cooker temp. Just not wireless remote. However, we didn't have wireless remotes when I was a kid fishing trot lines with my uncle. If we wanted to check for fish at midnight or wee hours of the morning we had to get up and go look. So while stumbling out on my deck in my underwear at 2 am may not recapture all of the adventure of my youth it's better than nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back