Enhanced Tri-Tip

Mike B.

TVWBB Fan
Tri-Tip is pretty rare here in Charlotte, but I managed to find it at the local Harris Teeter. The problem is, all they had was pre-packaged and enhanced. It was pre-marinated with a pepper, garlic and burgundy mix.

I used Chris W's cooking instructions, and they worked great. My wife and I were pleased, but the overall taste and texture seemed a bit "fake". It was very tender, but I think I'd prefer finding one that hasn't been enhanced and take my chances on ruining it. I believe I'd be happier even if I had to chew it a few more times. I'd also prefer spicing it up myself.

not sure if you have a trader joes nearby, but they are the only ones I know of out East who consistently carry tri tip. Definitely not enhanced.

That's weird you found enhanced beef. Was it really enhanced or just pre marinated? I've read rumors about how the beef industry is looking at possibly going the enhanced route, but didn't think anyone was really doing it yet. Sad, sad, sad if it indeed goes that way.

Our Atlanta Costco carries the unenhanced tri-tip steaks regularly; don't know if others do or not.

The only thing at our wally world that isn't enhanced is the full packer brisket. The flats they sell are enhanced. I walked through the meat section and pretty much looked at everything and it is all enhanced. Even the chicken says it is injected with chicken broth or stock. I forget which.

Needless to say the only thing I buy from walmart is full packers. Everything else comes from sams. My sams doesn't sell full packers unless the warehouse is out of flats then they send the packers instead. They won't order them for me unless I buy the case.Which is weird because they sell the full packers when they get them in. I can't figure out why they won't carry them both. Oh well enough with the rant.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike B.:
Tri-Tip is pretty rare here in Charlotte, but I managed to find it at the local Harris Teeter. The problem is, all they had was pre-packaged and enhanced. It was pre-marinated with a pepper, garlic and burgundy mix. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Granted it's not an unmolested Tri-Tip but i would not call it enhanced, maybe marinated but def not enhanced. Enhanced meat is packed in a salt solution that in many cases makes the meat more on the cured side/hammy tasting. I hate enhanced meat so please be kind.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike B.:
Tri-Tip is pretty rare here in Charlotte, but I managed to find it at the local Harris Teeter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike,

I have found Tri-Tip at both Costco and Earth Fare here in Greensboro. Keep an eye out at those locations.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Tri-Tip is pretty rare here in Charlotte, but I managed to find it at the local Harris Teeter. The problem is, all they had was pre-packaged and enhanced. It was pre-marinated with a pepper, garlic and burgundy mix. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Granted it's not an unmolested Tri-Tip but i would not call it enhanced, maybe marinated but def not enhanced. Enhanced meat is packed in a salt solution that in many cases makes the meat more on the cured side/hammy tasting. I hate enhanced meat so please be kind.
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It said "enhanced with up to 12% solution..."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by S. Carter:
Tri-Tip is pretty rare here in Charlotte, but I managed to find it at the local Harris Teeter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike,

I have found Tri-Tip at both Costco and Earth Fare here in Greensboro. Keep an eye out at those locations. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the tip. We don't have "Earth Fare", but I do get a free 3-month membership to Costco every once in awhile.

It said "enhanced with up to 12% solution..." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well since that little tidbit was left out in your first post that changes everything now doesn't it.
icon_eek.gif
Yes i'd have to say that i'd call it enhanced with a 12% soulution added.
icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
It said "enhanced with up to 12% solution..." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well since that little tidbit was left out in your first post that changes everything now doesn't it.
icon_eek.gif
Yes i'd have to say that i'd call it enhanced with a 12% soulution added.
icon_frown.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, well I figured with the title of the thread and all...
icon_wink.gif

Thanks for the tip. We don't have "Earth Fare", but I do get a free 3-month membership to Costco every once in awhile. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike,

According to the website, there is an Earth Fare in the Ballantyne area off I-485 and Johnston Road with a second one set to open in the Charlotte area in 2007 near South Park Mall.

Earth Fare specializes in organic foods. I am not really into that, but I do buy a lot of meat there. It may be worth your while to check it out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by S. Carter:

Thanks for the tip. We don't have "Earth Fare", but I do get a free 3-month membership to Costco every once in awhile. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike,

According to the website, there is an Earth Fare in the Ballantyne area off I-485 and Johnston Road with a second one set to open in the Charlotte area in 2007 near South Park Mall.

Earth Fare specializes in organic foods. I am not really into that, but I do buy a lot of meat there. It may be worth your while to check it out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool! I'm not too far from South Park. Thanks!

Back