Enhanced spare ribs....

Ron Hunter

TVWBB Member
a few months ago I bought my 1st spare ribs. I intend to cook a couple of slabs Saturday, but tonight when I took them out of the freezer I noticed the package said they were enhanced.

If I put a rub on them - won't this make them too salty? What do you recommend?

Thanks

Ron, make your own rub using a recipe off this site. Just cut the salt a bit. It will be all good! Oh, rinse them really well after you open the package!

If these get mushy on you don't call it quits on spares. Sometimes freezing enhanced meats causes the cells to break down due to the the ice crystals forming from the liquid put with the meat and give you a mushy product.

I also second washing these well as the salt sometimes gives a hammy taste.

Ron, Having had the disspleasure of buying a pack of enhanced ribs ONE time,
icon_mad.gif
if it were I, I would just throw them in the trash and not waste my time, but that is me. A little advice, don't invite anybody over for your enhanced ribs, might leave a bad taste in their mouths and not want to eat them the next time when you cook non enhanced ones.
icon_wink.gif
OK this is just my opinion and you might find they aren't that bad. I know many here have cooked them and say they weren't that bad. But many more have said the opposite. I really hope they do turn out fine for you.
icon_smile.gif

Back