Enhanced or past pull date???

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOM BAUER

TVWBB Pro
I picked up some Swifts St. Louis style ribs packed in cyrovac this weekend and opened the package when I got home. The ribs had a "flavor" about them but didn't appear to smell spoiled. I rinsed them off with water and proceded to prepare two racks to smoke. After they were done(about 5 hours) I took them off the grill and wraped them in foil for about 15 minutes while we got everything else ready for dinner. When eating the ribs, I could still taste the kinda of "brothy" taste to them. What I am wondering is, were these ribs "enhanced"??? or something else??? Looking for others with "enhanced" experience-----

Tom -

Best I can tell Swift Premium ribs are not enhanced. Unfortunately I cannot tell you with any certainty if they sell their product in an enhanced version. I do know that according to law the packaged must be marked as such if anything is added. I have read some complaints from others that once in a while they'll get a batch of Swift ribs that taste different than they normally do. Most describe this as a 'hammy' taste.

Tom,

Russ is correct about the labelling. If they are enhanced, it must say so, at least in the fine print!

I drive out of my way to buy non enhanced meat and will continue to, as long as I have a choice.

Well------hammy might be pretty close to the taste I found. What would cause that taste in the meat??? I threw away the St Louis ribs and kept the same brand (Swifts) pork spareribs that I had trimmed out and cooked with the St Louis ribs and they were just fine. Guses that there is no way to know what you are going to get with this brand or is it the same for all brands of ribs??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back