End of the Summer Bash!

Tony Hunter

TVWBB Pro
A few of us in my department at work decided to have an end of the summer lunch bash. This was to celebrate our productive summer and our uncompromising committment to the job. Ok, the second part was a bit much; but we did want to the summer with a bang!
icon_smile.gif

My friend and co-worker Ralanda had the idea of checking to see if the company would sponsor it so noone would have to chip in - it worked! And not only that, but the boss-man said lets do it for the entire IT department and lets let Tony do the cooking! Way Cool!

So now it was on; and I was going to be the "Pit Master". We decided on on pulled pork, brisket, cole slaw, baked beans and chips. Some of the employees brought in the desserts.

I got two 8 lb. butts from Sams Club and two 9 lb. brisket flats. I got every on the smokers 6:30p on Thursday night. The butts cooked to 205* and the brisket flats cooked to 195*. I decided to do a couple of things differently this time. First, I cooked both at 250* instead of 225*. I decided see if I could get my butts done sooner than 16-20 hours and still have great quality BBQ. The butts got done in 12 hours and were some of the best pork I have ever made. It was tender, juicy, nice smokering and bark. I cooked the butts on my WSM. The brisket flats were cooked on the Char-Griller and got done in 6 hours! Here is how: I smoked them over hickory at 250* until they reached an internal temp of 160*. This took approximately 3 hours. Then I wrapped them in heavy duty foil and put them back on the smoker until they reached 195*. Then I wrapped another layer of foil around them to make sure the juices would not run out while in the cooler. This was absolutely the best brisket I have ever done!!!!! The smoke ring was awesome, the meat was tender and juicy and the flavor was to die for! 6 hours!!!! I have heard about this brisket technique doing very well at competitions and now I see why!

The food was utterly devoured and everyone was happy. I even have some more catering opportunities because of this. It was a great cook and a great time.

Hi Tony, sounds like an awesome end of summer bash. You have the same brand cookers that I have and I will definitely have to give that brisket a try.

I have always did my cooks in the 250 range also. It really does cut time off without loss of flavor or juices as done at 230. Every once in a awhile I do get a stubborn butt that refuses to comply and runs me into a sweat but manage to pull it off just under the wire.

Back